This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Glad to hear all is going well, and hope you had a great birthday:beer:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It sounds like you have your mojo back Watty.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    It sounds like you have your mojo back Watty.

Thanks :) Yes I do think I have. Mojo hid whilst herbs out of stock but now back on them and feeling lots brighter. Hurrah!!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    How lovely to hear you so positive Watty. I think the sun definitely helps, I know it certainly helps me. Thanks for popping in to my diary, I really do appreciate it & its nice to know I don't waffle to myself!
    I have been reading the Early Retirement Extreme blog, its so interesting and certainly food for thought. Looking forward to hearing more of your plans xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Watty1
    As I shared earlier Mr Watty and I have been looking to use the money we have in our ISAs to buy a flat to rent out to boost the retirement fund. Having done the research and put in a couple of offers have decided to call a halt to this. The ones we offered on were 'good buys' but ultimately went for silly money as they were restoration projects.

Having reviewed how the £25,000 in a S&S ISA has done (and we didn't really think about the choice of the ISA) it actually would seem to make more sense to invest any cash we have in savings which ultimately is a less risky plan. We were gambling on using an interest only mortgage to buy somewhere and taking the rent as income - and then - selling the property to clear the debt in a few years. In theory it was a good plan but property round here is very expensive and we finally decided it was a lot of work for the return - especially if the property stands empty for more than 6 weeks. We may come back to the plan if we find a renovation project - but - for now - shelving that one.

Oh Ed ...you can say you told me so a few pages back :o

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You *must* be right to investigate it though, watty. And well done for not getting sucked in to over-paying. I'd be interested to hear what you decide for the ISA - I've got £15k, which isn't all mine, to take out of where it is (they lost 10% in the last six months, the twits!) and put it somewhere better.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Well mine lost ground too KC - but - had made an about turn too thanks to gains in the market.

Am going to set aside some time to squander on line err...make that research S&S ISAs

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I won't say I told you so Watty, I just expressed an opinion, you're welcome to adopt or abandon suggestions as they come :)

The interweb is a wonderful source of ideas and inspiration, but there's also some really !!!! ideas on it!

As KC says, you were absolutely right to explore your options. Any decision that's for your future has to be one that you are comfortable with and have taken for a positive, researched reason. Otherwise you will find yourself on the savings and investments board, moaning about mis-selling...

My feelings re. S&S ISAs remain low cost diversified trackers, DIY.
  • Watty1
    I won't say I told you so Watty, I just expressed an opinion, you're welcome to adopt or abandon suggestions as they come :)

The interweb is a wonderful source of ideas and inspiration, but there's also some really !!!! ideas on it!

As KC says, you were absolutely right to explore your options. Any decision that's for your future has to be one that you are comfortable with and have taken for a positive, researched reason. Otherwise you will find yourself on the savings and investments board, moaning about mis-selling...

My feelings re. S&S ISAs remain low cost diversified trackers, DIY.

Cheers Ed! It just turns out that having looked at a number of properties and done all the sums I decided BTL wasn't right for me at this time - unless - I can find a 'project property' which all seem sought after and then go for more than a done up property :eek:

Spent last night reading a cute dummies guide to ISAs sent to me foc. Come to a very similar conclusion.

Now need to look carefully at own Bank ISA which I bought maybe 10 years ago now and which hasn't exactly performed.
    Also need to investigate a suitable S&S diversified tracker.

And finally ...Ed, I know you have had career wobbles - so - ifa ??? :)

• Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I would pay for your advice Ed and the exams are not challenging.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback