PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    FoxFace wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)

You all may not remember me, but I used to hang around here a little bit a few years ago :)

I am trying to clear some debt, so although I still stick to a modest budget of £60 per week (and usually manage) I just want that extra kick up the bum to keep me on track.

I'm a married, working mum of two rapidly growing boys aged 9 and 12 and one Yorkie and we (dog excepted) follow a vegan lifestyle. Our budget suits us just fine (and I often come in under target).

I'm technically jumping in for June, but as that's only a week away I am going to start now.

Edit: Menu plan done, time to go shopping! This week I only have £40 left, as I bought some bits yesterday. I have some vouchers as backup if needed :)

Lunch
    Basic ramen
    Curried lentil soup
    Tofu scramble on wholewheat toast
    Homemade Hummus sandwiches
    Homemade Tomato soup
    Beans on toast
    Leftovers lunch

Dinners
    Homemade Lentil sausages, mash, cabbage & carrots
    Sweet Potato pancakes with spinach & Mushrooms
    Baked Potato & Beans
    Wholewheat Pasta with homemade tomato & basil sauce
    Lentil & bean casserole with dumplings
    Tofu satay with wholewheat noodles
    Homemade pizza

Nice to "see" you all and thanks to those still running the threads :D
    Fox
    x
    hi Fox

I'm vegan too and just had to say I'm loving your meal plan!

Would you share some recipes please?
    I'm interested in:
    - Basic ramen
    - Homemade lentil sausages
    - Sweet potato pancakes
    - Lentil and bean casserole (can neverhave too many casserole recipes!
    - Tofu satay

Sorry to bombard you and thanks in advance!!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    elsiepac wrote: »
    hi Fox

I'm vegan too and just had to say I'm loving your meal plan!

Would you share some recipes please?

Hi Elsie :)

I don't usually use recipes unfortunately, I tend to just take what I have in, look at flavour profiles and make it up as I go... but I will take notes as I make each meal if you would like, and pop them on here?

Hope that's okay
    Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • Can you put me down for £300 for June please.

I've been really inconsistant this year at keeping an eye on my budgeting and my main focus hasn't been the food shopping which has spiralled out of control again! I'm horrified at how much I have spent so far in May and can't even look at April, plus side my freezers and cupboards are groaning with food so it will be very reasonable for me to significantly reduce my food shopping to an acceptable level again. I should only need to buy fresh veggies, fridge stuff (cold meat, cheese yoghurt etc) and breakfast cereal.

Does anyone else have children that eat breakfast cereal as a snack? A box only lasts about 2 days at a push in my house.
    JAN - £208.56/£250 NSD-8
    FEB - £121.51/£200 NSD- 1
    Penny a day challenge #001: £200.79/£667.95
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    FoxFace wrote: »
    Hi Elsie :)

I don't usually use recipes unfortunately, I tend to just take what I have in, look at flavour profiles and make it up as I go... but I will take notes as I make each meal if you would like, and pop them on here?

Hope that's okay
    Fox
    x
    That would be great, thanks!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Budgetbabe
    Budgetbabe Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi everyone,

I'm a forum newbie (longterm lurker), and would love to join your challenge for June please.

We are 2 adults (with a little one due to make an appearance any day now!), and I would love to improve our spending and gain a little bit of control where it comes to the household budget.

We managed to spend over £300 so far in May (hides face) , and I would really like to reduce this to a much more realistic figure for June.
    So please set my first months target as £250 for June.
    This will include all household food, cleaning products, toiletries and items for the little one.

Hope that's ok

BBx
    September GC £250 / £58.13
  • FoxFace
    Budgetbabe wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm a forum newbie (longterm lurker), and would love to join your challenge for June please.

We are 2 adults (with a little one due to make an appearance any day now!), and I would love to improve our spending and gain a little bit of control where it comes to the household budget.

We managed to spend over £300 so far in May (hides face) , and I would really like to reduce this to a much more realistic figure for June.
    So please set my first months target as £250 for June.
    This will include all household food, cleaning products, toiletries and items for the little one.

Hope that's ok

BBx

Welcome and good luck :)
    Fox
    x
  • FoxFace
    NSD for me today, I don't really have a goal for this as I work from home and don't really leave the house to spend money :D I'm also so busy constantly that I'm kind of used to planning ahead by now too... :p

For lunch today we had a homemade curried lentil soup and for dinner we had sweet potato pancakes, which were amazing.

I made a thread for my recipes, as I pretty much only ever make things from scratch and don't write these things down... hopefully by sharing I can help others and also check back when I have no inspiration for menu planning. :rotfl:
  • I'd like to set my target at £240 again please. I failed abysmally in May, but I'm not beating myself up as it was my first time. Keeping a record has been so helpful and I realise now where a lot of the food spend has been going, namely takeaways and the corner shop. I'm carrying on over on the May thread until the end of the month, but will be back here to do better in the shiny new month of June :)
  • elsiepac wrote: »

First weeks meals will be:
    Squash, Orange and Barley salad
    and
    Carrot, Tarragon and White Bean soup
    for lunches

plus
    Curried Tofu Wraps (chapati wraps)
    and
    Spiced Cauliflower with Chickpeas, Herbs and Pine Nuts
    for dinners

Second weeks meals will be:
    Crunchy Bulgar Salad
    and
    Squash and Barley Salad with Balsamic dressing
    for lunches

plus
    Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Bowl with Tahini dressing
    and
    Sweet Potato and Coconut Curry
    for dinners

I will have a couple of freezer meals as backup, plus I have enough oats etc for breakfasts for the month.

Hi Elsiepac, I'm intrigued by your menus - do you mostly eat the same thing all week? I sometimes cook something that we have twice or three times, but I'm interested in taking that further, particularly with lunches. I completely lack lunchtime inspiration!
  • FoxFace
    I'd like to set my target at £240 again please. I failed abysmally in May, but I'm not beating myself up as it was my first time. Keeping a record has been so helpful and I realise now where a lot of the food spend has been going, namely takeaways and the corner shop. I'm carrying on over on the May thread until the end of the month, but will be back here to do better in the shiny new month of June :)

Good luck with June's challenge, now you have identified your spending, you can totally work on it :) x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport