DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Comments

• I'll have to try much harder on the milestones thing - you'd have thought, after nine years, that I'd already picked up on it!

Old habits - that rings true. I think the one thing my DMP has taught me is that I can still be an idiot, but I'm learning to control the impulses much better.

I had a wobble a couple of years back when my then partner and I decided to part ways - when she moved out, my bills went through the roof and in spite of a promotion and good pay rise, I had to knock a third off my DMP payments, which pushed my DFD another two years further into the distance. I think I suffered a combination of old habits threatening to come back, wanting to live a little, and the fact that my goal seemed distant again.

However, all now back under control, and thanks to this site and some PPI success my goal is suddenly much closer again. That, and the fact that I am finally starting to build milestones thanks to this forum!

All I can think of now is what I'm going to do when everything is cleared - and at the moment, my biggest concern is not that I'll end up with debts again (no way - a look at how much I have physically paid back reminds me every day never to go there again!) but that I won't have the discipline to save surplus.

Still, one step at a time :)
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Good Afternoon fellow dmp'ers.. HSxmastree.gif

The budget.. what can we say about budgeting... well it is everything between success and failure..... I have seperate accounts for all those pesky little things that need saving for like christmas, birthdays, car etc.... oh yes car... New brakes and clutch anyone..just before christmas...!!!

BUT.. I have a savings pot for that and with my emergency fund.... yep emergency fund, the fund we all need not having any access to credit.. I can afford to get these done...in cash.. before christmas.....

So the moral to the story.......is...... well I think you get the picture...

Merry Christmas One and All..
    Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • schmalf
    schmalf Posts: 50 Forumite
    Hi all!
    First thanks again for the replies Re Barclaycard. Well I've just got off the phone with them. Amazingly it's good news. Straight away the guy who I explained everything to said don't worry about the statement, it's an automated thing as the 12 month plan finished, but just to ignore it and keep paying the normal monthly amount set out in the dmp, with no charges, interest etc. Phew! So everyone in the same boat, it's definitely worth giving them a ring. Phone the number listed as "if you can't meet the payments" on the lhs of the statement, not the normal customer services number. He did mention the 6 monthly reviews from now on. But for now, onwards and well, downwards I suppose! Thanks again All, this thread is such a support. I promise to try and post more often (early new year resolution!) love Schmalf xxxx
    LBM october 2013
    DMP started 01/02/14
  • spot3
    spot3 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi everyone,

Glad you're sorted with BC Schmalf, that's one less worry.

I'm coming to the end of my DMP now (4 payments left) and I am due to pay off my RBS overdraft with this months Stepchange payment. I phoned them to check the balance and they advised me that as my arrangement was for £43 a month and runs until January, even though SC have been paying them nearly £70 for a few months now, when SC make the final payment this month and the balance is zero the system will still expect a payment in January and send chase letters!

They've changed it now but if I hadn't phoned that would have been a worry!
    SPC8 #444 Target £200
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    spot3 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Glad you're sorted with BC Schmalf, that's one less worry.

I'm coming to the end of my DMP now (4 payments left) and I am due to pay off my RBS overdraft with this months Stepchange payment. I phoned them to check the balance and they advised me that as my arrangement was for £43 a month and runs until January, even though SC have been paying them nearly £70 for a few months now, when SC make the final payment this month and the balance is zero the system will still expect a payment in January and send chase letters!

They've changed it now but if I hadn't phoned that would have been a worry!

Hey Spot 4 Payments, that's 3 left after Christmas !!! Fabbie & I'm proper jealous.

Automated letters are a pain, especially when you have overpaid and their system cant cope, I had a similar issue with Santander - boo, but at least you've dodged that one for now.

Scmalfie - Nice one, I'll expect another one the same soon.
    The expensive calls thing I an issue, I got caught out by £5 phone bill for an insurance quote I didn't take up.- pants.

Sentenient - at least you can see your wobbles and know what action to take, you've learnt stuff along the way, and maybe milestones aren't your thing.

HH & GUO & Puzz Hi (waves)

Question, for anyone who'd like to consider it - car is having its own wobble - did pass MOT (phew) but needs new tyres and some other work, I don't feel comfortable using up all my emergency fund getting it fixed but is that cheeky to go for a reduced payment when I still have a few quid stashed ? I've paid house & car insurance this month so the fund is looking lame already.

Have a good evening everyone - off to look at a spreadsheet for some ideas
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • WE HAVE PROGRESS!!

I finally have my new bank details. I have redirected my wages, and yesterday I sent my letters to my creditors with £1 cheques, and my SC application.

Would you recommend calling my creditors too, just to give them a heads up that I've sent the letters? I know the letters explain everything, but I'm just thinking they may be a bit kinder if I've taken the time to call them and explain in person.
    LBM 14th November 2014 - Total debt £8,852.54
    Step Change DMP started 01 January 2015.
    DFD June 2020
    MBNA: interest frozen - Halifax CC: interest frozen - Halifax Loan: interest frozen
    Halifax O/D: interest frozen - Barclaycard: [?]

• Puzzcat
    Slothy88 wrote: »
    WE HAVE PROGRESS!!

I finally have my new bank details. I have redirected my wages, and yesterday I sent my letters to my creditors with £1 cheques, and my SC application.

Would you recommend calling my creditors too, just to give them a heads up that I've sent the letters? I know the letters explain everything, but I'm just thinking they may be a bit kinder if I've taken the time to call them and explain in person.

Hi. I never rang any of mine just did 3 months of letters and tokens. They will call you if they need to and you can state the I am settling up a dmp and this is my reference number then. Didn't make any difference that I am aware of and I would have saved myself a few quid on phone calls.
    Puzz.x
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Slothy88 wrote: »
    WE HAVE PROGRESS!!

I didn't contact mine either, nor answer the phone to them for many months, nor send token payments (singing the ostrich song here), but I think it can save you a bit of bother in the long run if you either answer the phone when they call you (Like Puzz says, saves money) or let them leave a message then call back when ready - at least you get through to the right number first time and won't spend ages hanging on.

Hope it helps, have a great evening.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Evening peeps

A quick update from me.

I now have my welcome pack from Stepchange and their first payment out to creditors will be February 25th (from of my Jan wage), so some more £1 token payments this month and next to tide things over this month and next.

If all agree 0% interest then the longest one to repay is currently at 156 months!!!! :eek:

I am not even going to try and second guess how Stepchange have divided up the payment amounts, but I can see some interesting ones in there.

A few highlights below:
    • Barclaycard - £57 repayment a month on a £8850 debt so about 0.6% a month - this should mean 0% APR I hope!
    • Wonga - £10 a month on £950 outstanding
    • Lloyds Loan - £59 on a £8150 loan - used to be £270 a month
    • Everyday Loan - £28 on a £2100 loan - used to be £130
    • Four of my smaller debts will be getting a fiver a month - Argos, Lending Stream, Peachy, and the bank Overdraft.
    I suddenly have the feeling that some quick defaults will be heading my way (not necessarily a bad thing I know)...

On a lighter note, it's my works Christmas meal / party next Friday in Cardiff and they have agreed to pay for my hotel as I live away so looks like it will be party time! I have to say I'm very much looking forward to a good night out as I haven't been out in AGES!!! :beer:

Anybody know any good Squirrel dance moves? :rudolf:

Squiz
    LBM - Nov 2014 DMP Started - Feb 2015: £37,351
    Updated 14/06/15: Balance Now £35,907 DFD: Mar 2024
    3.86% paid off. 14/15 Creditors remaining
  • Puzzcat
    Evening peeps

A quick update from me.

I now have my welcome pack from Stepchange and their first payment out to creditors will be February 25th (from of my Jan wage), so some more £1 token payments this month and next to tide things over this month and next.

If all agree 0% interest then the longest one to repay is currently at 156 months!!!! :eek:

I am not even going to try and second guess how Stepchange have divided up the payment amounts, but I can see some interesting ones in there.

A few highlights below:
    • Barclaycard - £57 repayment a month on a £8850 debt so about 0.6% a month - this should mean 0% APR I hope!
    • Wonga - £10 a month on £950 outstanding
    • Lloyds Loan - £59 on a £8150 loan - used to be £270 a month
    • Everyday Loan - £28 on a £2100 loan - used to be £130
    • Four of my smaller debts will be getting a fiver a month - Argos, Lending Stream, Peachy, and the bank Overdraft.
    I suddenly have the feeling that some quick defaults will be heading my way (not necessarily a bad thing I know)...

On a lighter note, it's my works Christmas meal / party next Friday in Cardiff and they have agreed to pay for my hotel as I live away so looks like it will be party time! I have to say I'm very much looking forward to a good night out as I haven't been out in AGES!!! :beer:

Anybody know any good Squirrel dance moves? :rudolf:

Squiz

Hi Squiz,
    Well done all sounding very positive.
    Puzz x
    Christmas 2020 £109

MY DIARY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors