Getting out before the 12th

Comments

• saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 1:39PM
    Laughed out load there. Bryson the fool.

This is the first time I've been in Ireland for the 12th in 20 years. It'll probably be the last to be fair.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So how are you going to stop youngsters building bonfires?

Jail them.
    It's been going on for a couple of hundred years, and probably long before 11 th nights in another form, since midsummer bonfires are a tradition in many European countries, particularly Scandinavia and Slavic lands. Oh, and as you see, they're quite good crack.
    Any ideas?

Ive travelled the world and have been in numerous countries during their national day (Switzerland, Canada, France, Chile etc) and I was always struck how European countries in particular deal with bonfires.
    Firstly they are built to a certain height in a certain way with buy in from the local fire service. If youve ever been in the scouts and built an Altar fire then its the same principle. The fire is elevated off the ground slightly have metal sheets underneath and a layer of soil to insulate the ground and the fire is placed on top. The fire is built of proper wood and to a height that will burn for an hour or so (no pallets, no tires, no old sofas) and after a fixed time period the fire service put it out and everyone goes home.
    Oh and alcohol is usually served nearby (as is food, hot chocolate etc etc).

Simple really. Its like a bigger version of the patio log burner. Most people on the planet find this an acceptable way of doing things. It doesnt impinge on anyones culture, is safe, is fun and attracts tourists.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    joefizz wrote: »

Simple really. Its like a bigger version of the patio log burner. Most people on the planet find this an acceptable way of doing things. It doesnt impinge on anyones culture, is safe, is fun and attracts tourists.

+1

There needs to be control around whats happening on the 11th night RE: bonfire locations, etc.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Jail them.

What's the charge? Or will you just intern them?

Well all sounds fine. Who knows? It may end up like that with a bit of work, but Arlene seems to think there's a vote or two in backing this.

I object to the pallet wastage but sofas seem like an ideal source.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What's the charge? Or will you just intern them?.

Go build a big bonfire in a public space at any time other than 11th July or 8th august and see what happens to you.

Apply for a bonfire like I mentioned on your own land at say halloween, solstices etc and see all the hoops you have to jump through.

As you said though, there has to be a political will to enforce the law. Have a look at the videos online from that apartment block last night near the big bonfire. Listen to the terror in peoples voices and see the later arrival of the fire service, people putting themselves in harms way for no good reason whatsoever.
    Even beforehand the Housing Executive boarding windows up. I mean !!!!!!? Where else in the world would that even be considered acceptable behaviour by a government body?
    If that fire in London wasnt enough of a lesson to learn about how things can go wrong and very quickly I dont know what is.
    None of the bonfire builders give a monkeys that its the fire service and the police who will be the ones to putting their lives on the line if it goes wrong.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Well there's a failure of the state for a start.

You're right about other bonfires. A farmer round here was working at fences when two suits from the civil service arrived to ask him had he been burning hedge clippings. He hadn't, but someone had reported him for same, so these two, in fully pensionable employment, paid holidays, motor expenses, had been sent out to investigate. You're not allowed to burn clippings on your own land because of air pollution. You are allowed to hire a machine to chop them up, supposedly to allow them to rot, spewing petrol fumes into the atmosphere as it burns an irreplaceable resource. Mad.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Well there's a failure of the state for a start.

I think the failure starts with society. Probably hundreds of people standing round last night watching this thing burn. If people weren't there to watch, it wouldn't get built. Standing round watching your neighbour's house go up in smoke... something deeply troubling about that picture.
  • JulieElizabeth
    JulieElizabeth Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    For some people 11th night bonfires is all they have to look forward to during the year. Kids round my way have nowt else to aspire to apart from collecting, building and guarding the annual boney
    NO MORE HANDWASH GLITCHES PLEASE :D:D
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Jail them.

Ive travelled the world and have been in numerous countries during their national day (Switzerland, Canada, France, Chile etc) and I was always struck how European countries in particular deal with bonfires.
    Firstly they are built to a certain height in a certain way with buy in from the local fire service. If youve ever been in the scouts and built an Altar fire then its the same principle. The fire is elevated off the ground slightly have metal sheets underneath and a layer of soil to insulate the ground and the fire is placed on top. The fire is built of proper wood and to a height that will burn for an hour or so (no pallets, no tires, no old sofas) and after a fixed time period the fire service put it out and everyone goes home.
    Oh and alcohol is usually served nearby (as is food, hot chocolate etc etc).

Can't see them wanting lock up 12 year olds and younger. Because that who do it mainly. Get the stuff delivered and they do it.
  • qwert_yuiop
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Can't see them wanting lock up 12 year olds and younger. Because that who do it mainly. Get the stuff delivered and they do it.

I was a lot younger than that when I used to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport