Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Options
Hi everyone - I am new here

I have a vitamin B12 deficiency and whilst I take supplements and try to eat a good diet, it's something that I have to live with and try to keep on top of. I guess that I have been focussing too much on other things recently and I haven't been looking after myself as I should, so as a result I've had a real slump in energy and my symptoms have worsened over the past week. I have upped my B12 supplements and I am eating a really B12-rich diet this week in an attempt to counteract the effects, but I know that this will take a bit of time to get back to where I need to be. As a result I am feeling pretty run down and lethargic - but I am working on it (and kicking myself for ignoring the signs).

Anyway although there's lots of information / facts and figures etc available online, I can't seem to find much in terms of other people blogging or talking about their experience with B12 deficiency. So if anyone else has this issue and wants to chat about it, I would be really keen to hear about other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Comments

• A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are very deficient and your doctor has tested and confirmed this then your GP should be able to give you a B12 injection which can provide far more B12 than oral B12 which requires stomach acid and intrinsic factor.

There is meant to be some B12 with intrinsic factor which should help improve absorption but could be very expensive. The injections are probably your best bet.

My blood B12 levels were off the chart when I was tested but my digestive system is highly permeable which causes other problems.

Getting some 5mg (not micrograms!) B12 tablets might help a little but they are dependent on intrinsic factor for absorption. Sublingual tablets could improve things.

I get mine from Health monthly which offer fairly low prices. They take about 3 days for delivery.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a B12 Deficiency UK Facebook group that may be of use.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    The best B12 to take is Sublingual METHYLCOBALAMIN.

'Ordinary' B12 off the shelf will do no good whatsoever

Look up the MTHFR gene mutation as that is closely connected to B12.
  • B12LIFE
    Options
    Thanks for your replies - much appreciated
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was diagnosed after a full blood count for another condition.

My neurologist said the level was very low and asked my GP to provide weekly injections for 3 months, after which the GP had no plans for more, but the consultant messaged that I need them for life, every 12 weeks or the level would crash again.

Some injections are painful, but most are fine and all down to the administering nurse's skill. One told me the trick is to completely relax the arm being jabbed.
  • Paulaviki
    Paulaviki Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a B12 deficiency, initially the GP suggested I try to eat more animal products and food rich in B12 and take supplements. But this didn't work and it turns out I can't absorb B12 from food so I have an injection every three months done by the nurse at my GP surgery.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had this & had injections once a week for a month & that was all x
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Only a blood test will tell if you are B12 deficient. Only a GP can advise the best course of treatment.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    juliettet wrote: »
    Only a blood test will tell if you are B12 deficient. Only a GP can advise the best course of treatment.

That's not entirely correct.

As B12 is not a vitamin that you can easily overdose on, taking a supplement can only improve on the B12 in the diet.

Anyone over 50 should take a B12 supplement, as well as vegans and vegetarians.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had this & had injections once a week for a month & that was all x

Have you been retested, though ?

I was lead to believe that injections are for life (mine's due next Monday).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure