Creative ideas?

Hi there
I'm just wondering if any expert savers here have some creative ideas.... My sister and I have been very fortunate to inherit some captial circa 200k. We would like to invest it, and in the medium term would like our mother to benefit from the income (for various reasons she is struggling financially) as we would like to help her out as she helped us to get a good start in life.

Our first thought was to buy an investment property, but the return on investment seems to realisitically be 3.5 - 5%, so I thought if that is all you are getting, is there something lower risk, with less attendant expenses that we should think about?

We do NOT want to take risks with the capital, as we both have young families, so this money will invested in their education etc. in the future.

What would you do? Sorry if this seems an obvious post but i am a finacial dufus!

Many thanks

Suzie

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We do NOT want to take risks with the capital

why were you considering an investment property then?
    is there something lower risk, with less attendant expenses that we should think about?

You need to decide on the risk you want to take. Here you say lower risk. Elsewhere in the post you say no risk. You also seem to be focused on investment risk but no consideration is being given to shortfall risk or inflation risk. Remember no option is risk free and that risk is not on/off. Its a sliding scale.
    What would you do?

Doesnt matter what I would do or anyone else as chances are we have different objectives, timescales, taxation, personal circumstances, investment knowledge and experiences and different risk profiles. You need to do what is right for you. Not what is right for anyone else.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    With that amount of money, one option is to see an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA). There is plenty of information in past discussion threads on here, if you use the search function.

I wouldn't personally want the risk of property. It may have been a solid investment in the past, but the state of the market at the moment wouldn't attract me, and the liquidity is dire.
    Debbie
  • Thanks Debbie, clearly meeting a financial advisor would be a good idea, but possibly not one who makes me feel like I am back in primary school. Will try to find some recommendations for advisors in my area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure