Peugeot 206 - Engine cut out problem

Lyger
Lyger Posts: 116 Forumite
edited 22 March 2010 at 4:33PM in Motoring
Hi there,

I have a pretty dangerous fault with my Peugeot 206.

It started last night. I'd been driving for about 20 minutes, at about 50mph. My engine gave a small judder, almost like I'd hit a small bump in the road, and my engine warning light came on. About a second later, the engine warning light turned off. I decided to not worry about it too much, and carried on driving. About 5 minutes later, I was approaching a roundabout - and as I started slowing down (so, traveling between 30mph and 40mph at this point), my engine cut out completely. As in, no judders, it wasn't a stall - one minute, the engine was ticking over fine, then it just turned itself off.

After the car came to a halt (with some difficulty, since I'd lost the electric assistance for my brakes and power steering), I restarted it again with no problem. Hoping it was a one-off, I continued my journey. Right up until the same thing happened at the next roundabout I approached. At this stage, I decided that continuing to drive may be somewhat dangerous, especially as I was heading into a town centre, so I called the AA. However, after waiting an hour and a half for the nice man to arrive, he told me that since the engine warning light had turned off there was no point in even hooking up the machine for a roadside test, so he towed me home.

I took my car into a garage this morning (as it's easy for me to work from home) - a few hours later I have a £53 bill and they've not managed to find anything wrong with the car, and the problem hasn't happened again even after driving it around for about 45 minutes. This prompted me to google the issue, and I was horrified to find that this problem is not unique to my car - but is certainly a problem that was featured on watchdog in 2004.

So, I phoned the Peugeot dealership, who first of all tried to tell me I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet (right up until I pointed out I'd seen the Watchdog program), and then informed me that to troubleshoot the problem, they will have to charge me £45 for a full Peugeot flavour diagnostic test, which may result in a new download to my ECU (also chargable) - which may not work. And then after that, I will be charged £75 for each hour my car is being looked at, and if the test comes back clean, then a 2 hour test (also chargeable!) will be carried out.

I feel stuck in a bind. I've told the Peugeot Dealers to pick it up when they can (Friday) so they can check it out. I can't really afford this kind of money. Peugeot seem reluctant to deal with this suitably unless you phone them armed with the fact that the issue was on Watchdog in 2004.

Given that this problem has been pretty widely publicised in the past, I'm pretty disgusted that Peugeot are even now still refusing to admit that the issue is with their car, and are so gleeful about charging such extortionate prices for procedures that they admit may not work.

I've written to Watchdog, saying that the problem is alive and well, and that Peugeot are making silly amounts of money off it. And in the meantime, I'm having to work from home, I daren't drive my car, and I'm facing the prospect of a somewhat lonley birthday (or at least an expensive train journey) since I certainly won't feel safe driving a 3 hour trek on what will be mostly motorway!

Well, cutting this long story to an end - I was wondering if anyone here had dealt with this issue at all, and if they managed to get Peugeot to accept any ownership of the fault at all? Also, if anyone has any ideas of what it could be, I could at least go to my local - and much cheaper! - garage and ask them to check a particular thing on the car.
This is not an automated signature - I type this after every post.

Comments

• Redman30
    Redman30 Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2010 at 4:14PM
    I don't suppose you could drop a link in here as to the info you've found? I have mk4 golf which does something very similar - no one's managed to find out what's causing it as yet. Oh, and I just normally drop the clutch and re start the engine while moving ;)

/edit: googling it right now - could be interesting.
  • Lyger
    Well, I just googled 'peugeot 206 car engine cuts out when driving', and I came up with fun things like this:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/peugeotfault.php
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27974

And the article from the BBC website...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4106437.stm

Some of the threads I've come across on my search are dated back as far as 2002. :eek:

I hope you have more luck than I in getting to the bottom of your problem! Looks like mine is going to be seriously expensive.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    I can't advise you further on your problem except to state what you consider dangerous is the effect of driving a car without servo brake assistance, a luxury afforded to us elders back in the 70's.

Without it you simply press the pedal harder, ??:T
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Lyger
    I can't advise you further on your problem except to state what you consider dangerous is the effect of driving a car without servo brake assistance, a luxury afforded to us elders back in the 70's.

Oh, the brakes aren't the problem when the engine cuts out (harder, yes, but they work). The problem is that the steering lock engages when I try to steer with no power going through the system. :eek: Only way to get it to un-engage is to get the engine started again - so I guess I'll just have to be ready to dip the clutch and try to restart if it happens again before Friday. Or I'll wuss out and get a lift into work.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Lyger wrote: »
    Oh, the brakes aren't the problem when the engine cuts out (harder, yes, but they work). The problem is that the steering lock engages when I try to steer with no power going through the system. :eek: Only way to get it to un-engage is to get the engine started again - so I guess I'll just have to be ready to dip the clutch and try to restart if it happens again before Friday. Or I'll wuss out and get a lift into work.

Wow, must be at pretty low speed tho'?

I didn't think the steering lock could engage with the ignition in the on position??

Anyone else add to this? :(
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Lyger
    Wow, must be at pretty low speed tho'?

I didn't think the steering lock could engage with the ignition in the on position??

Anyone else add to this? :(

I really hope so! The steering lock engaged on the second time my engine cut out, so I was already being paranoid and taking it slow on the approach to the roundabout anyway. I'm hoping that it won't happen at higher speeds, but I'm somewhat nervous about testing the theory!
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I had this problem with my beloved 206 - it took a new ECU and coil pack to resolve it, which was quite expensive (£400+ I think, plus additional payment for some engine code that I hadn't been given when buying)...but I eventually got 112,000 miles from the car so consider that I got my money's worth from it.

It is a pain because Peugeot are very aware of the issue - in fact I completed a report that they were collating on all affected cars but don't believe it was resolved.
  • Lyger
    It's actually a relief to hear off someone who had the same problem and had it fixed - I've been reading so many scare stories on the internet about this, I was almost decided on throwing the baby out with the bath water and just part exchanging it for a new car.

How long ago was it when you had it fixed? The woman I spoke to at the Peugeot customer care was rather dismissive when I spoke to her, so I'm wondering if it's an issue that they still don't want to acknowledge.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hmmm - it was a 51 plate so would have been about 2004-2005 because it was out of warranty. Mine was a very intermittent fault - ie I could have a run of about 10 in a day and then nothing for months - always when slowing down for roundabouts. It got so I could feel it stopping and restart in seconds - its the first few that freak you out. It totally went on top of the M62 (at highest point) when the engine management light came on and didn't go off as it normally does just before it stalls, so I limped it to a garage and got it fixed.

This forum has lots of information available http://www.206info.co.uk/Forums/
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite

Having tried to move my car without the engine running (just rolling it back about a foot to let someone out of a driveway) the brakes were RIDICULOUSLY hard to use.... Can't imagine what it's like at speed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure