How to replace UPVC window handles/locks

Comments

• The key won't turn either.

What we've decided to do is (if possible) to keep this thread open with as many ideas as possible and try it all on Saturday. My husband thinks that the metal sliders that move up and down whenever the handle is turned to allow the window to change position is jammed (we can't get access to that part because we can't open the window fully so catch 22) which is why we can't turn the handle.

The window is shut with duct tape at the moment. :rotfl::rotfl:
  • b0rker
    b0rker Posts: 479 Forumite
    duophonic wrote: »
    The key won't turn either.

From another site:

"A common problem I have seen often sounds like the problem is that the window is tilting and turning at the same time. The solution to this is firstly to look at the window mechanism down the handle side of the window. You are looking for a small button or anything spring loaded. If you find something turn the handle so that the window is in the position for tilt, then press the spring loaded button, with the button held down push the top corner of the window in as if you were closing it. Hold the window in this position and turn the handle to the “turn” position. This will move the mechanism and should sort the problem. You might find it easier to get someone else to help you turn the handle while you hold the window closed at the top corner.
    If that doesn’t fix the problem then you might have to have a pro look at it."
  • Ah - great to see this thread up and running.

I have the same problem as a previous poster. My upvc window is SHUT and stuck.

It has a handle that turns from 3 oclock to 12 oclock to open. The handle DOES turn but the window stays shut. The right side loosens, but the left stays completely shut, so I can't open the window. I think the 'lever' rod thing is not engaging.

Any ideas on what to do??? I have taken the handle off - but that just leaves a small hole - so I can't see in, or manually hook the lever rod thing to open.

It just was working normally one day, and not the next. eek!

:o
  • My handle is stuck in closed position (3 o'clock). The key turns but won't unlock, so I can't get access to the right-hand screw. I tried to screwdriver the lock, it turns the same as the key, but again won't open. Is drilling my only option? I'm not bothered about the lock not working anymore (high-rise top floor) I just want to open the window (it's in the kitchen and very warm.)
  • mersey
    mersey Posts: 1,296
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just as a matter of interest,just bought a pack of five window handle/locks in white for pvc windows,B andQ £14.98. Value packs loads of them.
  • dreado
    dreado Posts: 8 Forumite
    BayTheMoon wrote: »
    My handle is stuck in closed position (3 o'clock). The key turns but won't unlock, so I can't get access to the right-hand screw. I tried to screwdriver the lock, it turns the same as the key, but again won't open.

I have this problem too, if anyone has a solution I'd love to know.
  • This thread seems pretty handy!

I have managed to snap the brass handle off my PVC window frame. I bought a replacement handle, but am unable to remove the original from the frame. I unscrewed the only visible screw but still can't get the old handle out. I assume some of the metal from the old handle is obscuring another screw but I can't do anything with it.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? I have already hired a handyman to come round on Wednesday at £40 an hour (!) but he gave no guarantee that he could fix it and if he can't, this could quickly become expensive! If I can fix it myself on the cheap that would be great!
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    el01csy wrote: »
    This thread seems pretty handy!

I have managed to snap the brass handle off my PVC window frame. I bought a replacement handle, but am unable to remove the original from the frame. I unscrewed the only visible screw but still can't get the old handle out. I assume some of the metal from the old handle is obscuring another screw but I can't do anything with it.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? I have already hired a handyman to come round on Wednesday at £40 an hour (!) but he gave no guarantee that he could fix it and if he can't, this could quickly become expensive! If I can fix it myself on the cheap that would be great!

Cancel the handyman and book a locksmith instead should save you some money A decent locksmith swont be a lot more I would charge £45 for removing your old one and fitting your own new one.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    el01csy wrote: »

It probably is hiding another screw, as you suggest.

You need to turn the broken lock to the open position if possible.

It is then just a matter of removing the screw / broken handle and replacing it.
  • Hi,

Don't know if anyone can offer any advice for the following problem -

I have an upstairs double glazed pvc window that won't open. When i turn the central handle to push the window outwards & open, only the window catch on the right hand side releases from the frame. The catch on the left hand side remains locked in the frame, preventing the window from opening.

I've tried giving it a good shove but it is firmly locked and feels like it would only damage the frame. I've been told that I could take the glass out but it's an upstairs window & I'm concerned that unless this is an easy procedure it could drop or remain windowless!!

I'm based in central London & just wondered if anyone had any advice...

Thanks,

Mat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family