MoneySaving Poll: Should the UK impose a maximum cap on salaries?

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Part of me initially says yes, it's a good idea, as some people earn a hideous amount, but then it wouldn't work.
    You would end up with capped salaries, but then big bonuses, and if cash bonuses weren't allowed they would be material bonuses (cars, holidays, houses, etc)

But something does need to be done about the growing difference between high and low wages.

I read somewhere that in the 70s(?) wages of bosses were on average 40 times the wages of the lowest paid in the same business and now it 400 times.

I think there needs to be a cap on the number of multiples between the lowest and highest paid people in a business. Then bosses are fine to give themselves a big wage as long as those below one get one too.

Might also need a rule in there about contracted out work too. For example if you contract out your cleaning, those cleaners wages should still be included in the calculation.
    Zebras rock
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ashleyriot wrote: »
    The CEO's salary should be a maximum of x multiple of the lowest worker's salary.

That way, if the CEO receives a pay rise then so should those at the bottom.

So let's say the company is doing really well due to the managment of the CEO why should people who havnt helped the company also get a payrise.

How would you like it if you did a really good job at work and saved the company lots of money. They decide to give you a payrise but it won't be much because they also have to give everyone else who works with you a payrise at the same time, even though they had no input in the project.
  • This poll misinterprets what Corbyn is suggesting. He doesn't state a set figure for the top amount - which would be impossible to implement and unworkable across different industries. He is advocating a ratio between the top and bottom earners in companies that receive tax payer funding which would include public sector and any companies tendering for public contracts. This is a more realistic proposition. However, private companies would still try to get round it by topping up salaries with other rewards.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am against corbyns cap..........makes him look like the trotsky he is.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It's a shame there isn't a 15-year plan so all businesses in the UK reform and become not for profit.

Why do they need to make any profit? If nobody made profit, then surely we'd have huge amounts of cash that we can use to build more hospitals, fix the railways, whatever...
  • I think instead of a cap on the highest that can be earned, every company should have to pay their lowest paid workers a set percentage of the highest paid person in the company (5-10%)... It would probably see CEOs and top level managers reducing their salaries so they don't have to pay so much in staffing while still benefiting the lowest paid staff with a pay rise.
  • takman wrote: »
    So let's say the company is doing really well due to the managment of the CEO why should people who havnt helped the company also get a payrise.

How would you like it if you did a really good job at work and saved the company lots of money. They decide to give you a payrise but it won't be much because they also have to give everyone else who works with you a payrise at the same time, even though they had no input in the project.

Hmmm, your point is valid but my challenge back is that if there are people in a company who are not working (in their own job position) for the success of their employer, then that's something that performance management should highlight.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm not sure a cap is workable, unless the cap is so high it is meaningless for the majority of firms. But I do think that rules about the gap between the highest and lowest paid in an organisation is reasonable, and that that should be based on total remuneration, not merely salary, so it taks into account things such as pensions, share options, perks like comapny cars and health instuance etc.

So a limit on the multipal makes more sense to me. That way, they can pay vast sums to the top people but it would pull up the wages for lower paid workers if they did.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Im 57, I voted Yes to a cap, of £28k, cut all the MP's wages, and im going on a reduced hours week to earn my £28k and then im sitting on my arris for 4 days a week.

Corbyn your a joke
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think that no one in a company should earn more than, say, 7 times as much as the lowest paid employee or sub contractor (so no saying cleaners don't count because they work for another company which has the contract). A cap doesn't work because it would have to be re negotiated every year. I can't answer the survey because the options are "no" or a cap amount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure