PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hester - as others have posted I can only offer virtual moral support. Do hope the situations ease soon. Love and Hugs x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Hester , hugs sent your way .. keep ranting on here ....This place keeps me sane , even if I do often just read along , .....and yes, very impressed that you didn't flip out after her comments,silly so and so ......xx
    £223/ £250 GC
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you everyone.
    I should explain, DD has regular Dr's appointments and has had a few emergency mental health referrals to our local unit. Part of the problem can be her refusal to engage with the parts of the treatment that don't suit her. She has posted many times on FB about her terrible childhood, this has alienated her siblings as they all shared the same childhood and they believe her version is complete fantasy. She is also very resentful that my help has been forced upon her by SS/EWO, I'm not sure which as no one is allowed to discuss it with me at DD's request.
    Floss, thank you so much for your pm, I'll reply in detail this evening after I've taken DGD5 to dance class. I will also check out the links you sent me, thank you.
    I think it's time I stopped hogging the thread.
    Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    GQ seems to have disappeared. She posts on Not Buying it and Make do Mend and Minimise. We have discussed it. I think our main difference is there is only one of her and there are two of us. Thus two plates, two cups, two lots of towels and bedding. God knows how they manage opposite us they have three kids..
    :) It doesn't actually work out like that. I have several saucepans, sieves, colanders, mixing bowls, kitchen knives, one can opener, one veg peeler, 4 each of knives, forks, spoons. I wouldn't have any more of those if there were 2-3 of us here instead of just me. OK, I'd move up to a larger size of stacking saucepan as the present one would only do for up to two people but, mostly you have a baseline level of household goods which isn't too different between one and two persons.

:o Heck, I have 5 dinnerplates.......... and several mugs, and three glasses (one big, two small). Sometimes I have family/ pals around, even several at a time, be a bit much to pre-instruct them to bring their own mugs.

Where you do have savings of volume of possessions is that you have only one person's toiletries in the bathroom, and only one person's clothes etc. My flat has one bedroom which is just a few square feet larger than the double bed it holds. I would struggle to accomodate a partner's clothing and footwear in this room as well as my own, unless we each limited ourselves to only one pair of shoes and no more than a modest bag of clothing. Thank goodness I'm a single lady.;)

Re recipes and leftovers, it's hard to cook many recipes in quantities which are right for a single serving for one. Bordering on impossible for many things, I'd say. I made a big pot of chilli con carne with 400g of mince, beans, a pepper and tomatoes and will be eating that with variations for the next several days.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I think thats where my worry re: pensions come in GQ. Even as a reletively non consumerist family we still consume and my food levels are contunually a battle to improve. That 500g mince would make 1 meal for our family plus an extra for DH' lunch the day after. Over the past few days I have been looking at how I would cope with just me and even a retired DH too and I'm much more comfortable with my thoughts.

GQ? You have 1 more dinner plate than me:eek: :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    This retired couple is going to shrink by half fast if the other half of it - ie the RV - does not stop GRUMPING SO MUCH.
    I need a loan of an axe.
  • fuddle
    You are saintly dear Mar :D How is RV doing? Is he feeling a bit better?

Quick Q? Would chicken stock survive freezing and defrosting?

Another quick Q :D what can I use for gravy browning? My grandma would use comptons gravy salt, producing lovely gravy. I am making my own but then sticking some gravy granules in to brown and I hate that I'm defeating the object.nI can't seem to find comptons.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    Mar Think of the mess :D Have you considered ear plugs ?
    Console yourself that the clocks go forward soon and find him an outdoor project !
    polly
    Who has snow - how about you Fuddle ?
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • fuddle
    No not me polly. It's falling as heavy rain here.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    Fuddle I use vecon vegetable stock , just a tiny bit straight from the jar . It darkens the gravy and is full of b vitamins and others It 's not cheap but a little goes a long way . I also dilute it for soup and casserole stock .
    It's safe to freeze chicken stock if it's been in the fridge .
    Oh Fuds I have snow !
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport