Learning to crochet

Comments

• li'l_p
    li'l_p Posts: 797 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2009 at 8:54PM
    http://www.theartofcrochet.com/

Saw it in WH Smiths today, in our store it was near to the tills, so not near all the usual craft mags - just in case that's where you were looking. Might be best asking a member of staff.

The first issue is 99p. Goes up to £2.99 for the rest. (120 issues...!!!)
  • bunbun2
    bunbun2 Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2009 at 9:07PM
    li'l_p wrote: »

Saw it in WH Smiths today, in our store it was near to the tills, so not near all the usual craft mags - just in case that's where you were looking. Might be best asking a member of staff.

thank you for this lil_p and also savvybunny for mentioning it. I will look for this tomorrow as I would like to learn to crochet and have plenty of time to learn before Christmas! I can't knit,sew or crochet so it could take a while!

thanks also to p-pincher for the OP and giving me the idea!
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • Thanks, I think i'll buy the first one but stop there!

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • jojotoo
    jojotoo Posts: 31 Forumite
    Have a look at attic 24, she makes amazing crocheted bags, cushions, blankets, flowers and scarves and kindly shares tutorials so we can make them too!
    Ah, I'm not allowed to do links coz I'm now so go to attic24 dot typepad dot com and that should take you there.
  • http://attic24.typepad.com/ Theres the link jojotoo :)
  • lollyball wrote: »
    Penelope Penguin, I absolutely love your blog, I will be back with crochet needle and yarn in hand, I love the granny square.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: That's not mine - I'm just following that pattern :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • li'l_p
    li'l_p Posts: 797 Forumite
    Hippychick wrote: »
    Thanks, I think i'll buy the first one but stop there!

Err, me too! A near completed set will probably show up at a car boot sale sometime in the future :rotfl:
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    I taught myself to crochet last year. I used the online tutorials from LazyDaisy, and the Happy Hooker book

18 months on I'm doing this :D
    Thanks for those links Penny. I have knitted for years but have recently fancied giving crochet a whirl so I have ordered the book from my library :money: ;) and bookmarked the LazyDaisy page.
  • Yama_2
    Yama_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    I started learning a couple of days ago. I've been following a YouTube video on crocheting a traditional granny square and, after 20 attempts, it clicked!! :D Great thing I found with that is that I can watch, pause, go back (jotted key times with understandable steps on paper to refer back to). I prefer to get my hands dirty with a simple task straight away than look at pictures of stitches in books, but I think it seems to make sense...hopefully.

Bought a beautiful book on crochet blocks and ordered the 'happy hooker' plus a couple of books from the library to browse through for hints.

Charity shops are great for balls of wool - especially when you don't want the expense initially.

Good luck!
  • CandyB101_2
    CandyB101_2 Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    li'l_p wrote: »

I've just got back from shopping with this, will probably take a few years for me to actually get around to starting ...... maybe one of your lovely ideas on this site will get me motivated, thought the offer was too good to miss at 99p.
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport