Upgrade basic bank account?

I have had bad credit in the past (over 5 years ago). I have a NatWest basic account which I have had for two years and a Vanquis credit card which has recently had it's credit limit increased to £1000 (no balance I clear it every month). I also have £5000 in a savings account with NatWest.
Recently I have been wondering whether I would likely to be eligible for a 'full bank account'? I don't want an overdraft however I would like such things as a contactless card, a card which I can use a at pay at pump petrol stations, use Applepay, have a chequebook etc.
I did enquire with NatWest about upgrading and was told I would have to apply for a brand new account. As this would mean a new account number etc I may as well look at other banks too and find one most likely to give me a full account.

Can anyone suggest a bank I'm likely to get a full account with? Or should I wait longer before thinking about applying? All advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Cheesey123 wrote: »
    I have had bad credit in the past (over 5 years ago). I have a NatWest basic account which I have had for two years and a Vanquis credit card which has recently had it's credit limit increased to £1000 (no balance I clear it every month). I also have £5000 in a savings account with NatWest.
    Recently I have been wondering whether I would likely to be eligible for a 'full bank account'? I don't want an overdraft however I would like such things as a contactless card, a card which I can use a at pay at pump petrol stations, use Applepay, have a chequebook etc.
    I did enquire with NatWest about upgrading and was told I would have to apply for a brand new account. As this would mean a new account number etc I may as well look at other banks too and find one most likely to give me a full account.

Can anyone suggest a bank I'm likely to get a full account with? Or should I wait longer before thinking about applying? All advise would be greatly appreciated

Only the applying for the account will you know if you can get one, Speculation on here will make no difference. Having 5k in savings and credit card with a credit increase may help your chances, Since the bank sees lenders are given you more credit... Apply and see....
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Lloyds Bank offer a soft search tool for their current accounts.

Given you have £5,000 in savings your money might be better off in the Club Lloyds account if you meet the other terms (minimum deposit of £1,500/month otherwise a £5 fee applies and have at least two Direct Debits).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Until recently I had a full current account with Lloyds and I have multiple defaults- I had no problem getting a full account (although no overdraft)
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • GibbsRule_No3
    GibbsRule_No3 Posts: 610
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 September 2016 at 7:19AM
    20aday wrote: »
    Lloyds Bank offer a soft search tool for their current accounts.

Given you have £5,000 in savings your money might be better off in the Club Lloyds account if you meet the other terms (minimum deposit of £1,500/month otherwise a £5 fee applies and have at least two Direct Debits).

Can you give me more details on how Lloyds do the soft search? I would like a contactless card but was on a DMP and despite having a Cashminder account with Co-Op bank for seven years, when I asked last week to upgrade the account they said no, so I don't want to risk asking elsewhere so soon, a soft search might tempt me to ask Lloyds sooner. I can easily put in £1500 a month with at least six DD's a month and have a savings account with Co-Op that has more than £20,000 in, so I'd happily swap that to a Lloyds account as well if they will give me a contactless card. I don't want or need credit or an overdraft. I was toying with a Capital One credit card as that seems to have been "pre-approved" and is contactless.
    Paddle No 21 :wave:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Can you give me more details on how Lloyds do the soft search?
    See https://secure.form.lloydsbank.com/application/pca_eligibility_check.asp:
    • We will use your personal details to provide you with a likelihood of approval for a Lloyds Bank current account and overdraft with us
    • We will do so by using the information supplied by you along with a soft search on credit reference agencies (CRA)
    • A soft search on CRAs is only visible to you, not to lenders. Hence it will not affect your credit score for future credit applications
  • The problems I had previously were with Lloyds, Nationwide and Barclays so I don't really want to go with them. HSBC is one I've been considering along with Natwest. Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to get an account with HSBC for someone who's had credit difficulties in the past? Never had anything with HSBC in the past
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    HSBC have a reputation for being very choosy about their customers. Not sure if that's justified or not.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    HSBC will likely continue to decline me for the rest of my life (I had financial difficulties in the past with them) but as TheShape says they are very choosy.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Good news, I have been able to get a select account with Natwest. Unfortunately it meant a brand new account with new account number
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It depends on the bank and their criteria really. I know when I've checked my credit score before, HSBC have done a hard and deep search on me, so perhaps avoid them, otherwise I've tried Nationwide, Lloyds Bank, Halifax and also now Barclays and they've all been fine with me.
    My main account is First Direct but that is through HSBC so I don't know if their credit scoring works on the same system
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure