Comet Extended Warranty

Hi appreciate this is a little premature but I purchased an Apple computer earlier this year from Comet. I negotiated the price a little and this led to an extended 5yr warranty being provided.

I will still potentially take out the Apple Care Insurance simply because of the type of product.

My question is fairly straight forwards.
The news this morning is that Comet could file for Administration this week. If this happens would this mean that the Warranty becomes null and void or would the Warranty agreement still be honoured through some form of separate scheme?

Anyone had previous experience, and should I be heading back to the Shop to request a refund before they go bump?

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I imagine these are in house warranties, but check your paperwork.

Unless your T&C's allow for a refund I very much doubt you will get one from the shop and if you are confrontational I suspect the staff could become a little less than professional if they have nothing to lose.
  • I suppose that I should head back to the store and express my concern and see if i can gain some additional info ie is the warranty internal/external and how/is it protected in the event they go into administration
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The owners need to deny these rumours before noon today otherwise it will probably be all over as turnover just dries up (until of course they have their closing down sales).
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    To the Op. check your paperwork, but I believe the extended guarantee is through G/E. and there is a 45 day cooling off period under which if you haven't used it you can get a full refund.

To Hintza, they either are going into administration, or aren't. If they weren't I think we would of heard something by now. It's probably correct what the papers are saying, spend any gift cards now before they go bust or are unable to fufill suppliers terms.
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    or aren't.

That is my point they maybe weren't but but this could be dead within days just on rumour.

I think you are right though we would have heard protestations by now that all was fine and new funding was in place...blah blah.
  • On Saturday I bought a fridge freezer from Comet on the "buy now pay in 9 months" terms. I paid 10% deposit (£70.00) and after turning down the initial offer of extended warranty (5 years) and getting a reduction, I reluctantly went with it.

The fridge freezer is not due for delivery until next Tuesday, where do I stand in terms of cancelling / warranty etc.? any help would be appreciated :beer:
  • I too took extended cover on a TV back in March. This is from the FAQ's on Comets website:
    If Comet ceased to trade, would my product still be protected?
    The Warranty Group Services (Isle of Man) Limited is the provider of the ExtraCare Service Plan. To protect you in the event of The Warranty Group Services (Isle of Man) Limited going out of business, a Trust Fund held by an independent trustee is used to ensure that the financial obligations of The Warranty Group Services (Isle of Man) Limited can be met.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    My mother in law works for Comet in one of their call centres and they have been told today that they are being made redundant. Not looking good for Comet.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As someone that worked in Comet's service division:

Their repair centre is not apple certified so cannot get apple parts. They do the best they can by caniballising written off units etc, and buying parts from eBay, but I would strongly recommend using Applecare instead on an apple product.

Non apple products, no problem.

Extra care won't be affected by Comet's administration, both their extended warranties and service plans are managed from a seperate account by TWG and you will still have cover if comet vanish.
  • I bought a washing machine from the comet clearance site a few days ago, says all their products are covered by a 12 month warranty. I don't usually buy refurbished/used products and only used the site because of the warranty, now I'm worried what will happen if my washing machine breaks down. Would I still be covered? I'm considering cancelling my order now. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure