PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord: what do you make of this?

If you received a letter from your tenants to say that the toilet is having issues flushing and thats it not urgent but just highlighting the fact that a problem is starting to arise, would you feel the need to send a snotty letter back saying that you don't appreciate the 'tone' of the letter and to go on about how good of a landlord you are and how you fix things so quickly?

I don't understand why my landlord has done this. We literally left them a letter just to make them aware that a problem is starting to come up, its not urgent so can fixed when they want to get to it and we got a letter back basically insinuating that we sent it to be rude!! I'm honestly really angry and upset about this as its made me look to be a bad person, and as far as we thought, we were being considerate!!

Comments

• tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Your Landlord is an idiot, worry not.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Seems strange reaction.

But without reading your letter it is hard to comment on the 'tone'.

On the face of it, you have been reasonable and sensible, but perhaps the LL read your letter in a way you did not intend - is that possible?
  • Log it, keep monitoring then sue for harassment, also a criminal offence
  • hgotsparkle
    hgotsparkle Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    Seems strange reaction.

But without reading your letter it is hard to comment on the 'tone'.

On the face of it, you have been reasonable and sensible, but perhaps the LL read your letter in a way you did not intend - is that possible?

It went along the lines of:

Just to make you aware that the toilet is startin to have the same issues as before, its not urgent but just letting you know about it, in case it stops flushing again.

The landlord has kicked off over little things before, but we are helpful as our landlord is elderly, so we put the bins out for them, take their glass to the bottle bank, offer to get shopping for them in winter (we live next door to them) we do everything the landlord asks. I know its probably just a case of someone with nothing to do being a busybody but it has really upset me as we have never doubted that they're a good landlord. I am keeping all the letters we get in case the landlord takes this up with the letting agents.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Move. It will never get better.

I do similar with my current landlord, photo or description of any issue & email them with a quick fyi type message.

I have always received a polite thank you back with a question of if I want them to send someone round soonest or if I am happy for them to just have it noted & for me to escalate if & when necessary.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • hgotsparkle
    quidsy wrote: »
    Move. It will never get better.

I do similar with my current landlord, photo or description of any issue & email them with a quick fyi type message.

I have always received a polite thank you back with a question of if I want them to send someone round soonest or if I am happy for them to just have it noted & for me to escalate if & when necessary.

I really wish we could afford to, but as this place is so cheap, OH just going self employed, and saving for a house, we just can't because we'd never get anywhere as cheap as we have now and it'd set us back too much and we really don't want that.

The landlord seems to direct everything at me, if I sign it from me and OH, the reply is directed at me. If they want to discuss something with us, its always when OH is out.
    Me an OH should back get back from work at the same time later so if the landlord tries to talk to me about it when I pull in, I shall wait until OH arries and wlk away, leaving him to deal with it. Its just upset me so much.
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    From your original post it appears that you are concerned with a minor issue, you say that you sent a letter to the landlord highlighting a problem that you think may arise, but from your later post it suggests you have had similar problems with the toilet in the past. The fact that you wrote a letter to the landlord who lives next door rather than just mentioning the issue to him indicates that you want things to be on a more formal basis and you want a record of what has been discussed. Maybe the landlord felt that if it was a minor issue as your initial post suggests then you were being overly formal and making a bigger thing of it by sending a written letter rather than just mentioning it to him, and perhaps that had a bearing on the tone of the letter that he wrote in reply?

Your posts suggest you don't have a good relationship with your landlord, and unfortunately as previous posts suggest unless you can see that improving because he lives next door there is no getting away from him unless you move out I'm afraid.
  • hgotsparkle
    13Kent wrote: »
    From your original post it appears that you are concerned with a minor issue, you say that you sent a letter to the landlord highlighting a problem that you think may arise, but from your later post it suggests you have had similar problems with the toilet in the past. The fact that you wrote a letter to the landlord who lives next door rather than just mentioning the issue to him indicates that you want things to be on a more formal basis and you want a record of what has been discussed. Maybe the landlord felt that if it was a minor issue as your initial post suggests then you were being overly formal and making a bigger thing of it by sending a written letter rather than just mentioning it to him, and perhaps that had a bearing on the tone of the letter that he wrote in reply?

Your posts suggest you don't have a good relationship with your landlord, and unfortunately as previous posts suggest unless you can see that improving because he lives next door there is no getting away from him unless you move out I'm afraid.

It was purely that something needed replacing which a plumber came out to do, as was meant to come back, but never did. I'm now having a family member who is a plumber coming over to sort it as its just easier.
    The landlord knows why we send letters, as they do to us because we both leave early in the morning and don't return until after dark and the landlord has said that they don't like opening the front door when it is is dark which we understand.
    We've had a few issues in the pst, but we have done exactly as landlord asked in sorting these issues. In general, if we bump into each other at weekends, we have a friendly chat for a while, and we have done errands in the past for landlord when we have been off work.
    It just seems that this has been blown out of proportion over a simple FYI letter.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It was a letter that didn't need to be sent in the first place, the LL may or may not have went over the top but why bring up a non existent problem, it's either broke or it's not.

Sounds to me like you are a bit of a nightmare, there is two sides to every story.
  • hgotsparkle, we had a similar elderly landlady before. My partner was just trying to be polite and made her aware of some issues, unfortunately she took it the wrong way as criticisms. We never meant it that way, all I can say is it sounds like they don't do such 'courtesy' calls or letters themselves, hence the seemingly rude response.

Just keep a record of everything yourself to cover your backside I would suggest, only liaise with them when you need things sorted as they are not interested in anything else anyway.

You have done nothing wrong, take it easy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure