Single OAP would like to reduce water bill meter not an option

pjran
pjran Posts: 1,902 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
My father in law, in his 80's, lives alone and would like to reduce his water bills if possible. He can't have a meter apparently as he lives in an old flat. I'm sure his usage is very low, unable to bath and little cooking, no dishwasher or washing machine.

My husband has spoken to the water company but not getting very far. Is there anything we can do please?

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pjran wrote: »
    My father in law, in his 80's, lives alone and would like to reduce his water bills if possible. He can't have a meter apparently as he lives in an old flat. I'm sure his usage is very low, unable to bath and little cooking, no dishwasher or washing machine.

My husband has spoken to the water company but not getting very far. Is there anything we can do please?

Speak to the CAB if there are issues with communicating with the supplier.
    They are great at assisting in matters such as these.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    pjran wrote: »
    ..My husband has spoken to the water company but not getting very far. Is there anything we can do please?

MSE guidance: see Step 2
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/cut-water-bills

Apparently you can request an 'assessed charge bill' or a 'single occupancy rate'.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Before he will be offered an assessed rate, he must formally apply for a meter; even though he is aware a meter cannot be fitted.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    As above, you need to apply for a meter first, if they cant fit one they will do an assessment (some base on occupancy some base on usage with a set of questions) pretty sure the bill will be reduced
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    deanos wrote: »
    As above, you need to apply for a meter first, if they cant fit one they will do an assessment (some base on occupancy some base on usage with a set of questions) pretty sure the bill will be reduced

I was researching how much we could save with a meter (am needing to enquire where the meter will go) and noticed a section describing the assessment method for those unable to have a meter fitted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure