South West Water Rip-off

We're moving into a new home next week. The house was deemed un-meterable and the current owners are therefore on a 2 person assessed tarrif. When I signed up to transfer our account to the new house we were told that it would have to be surveyed again to see if a meter could be installed (no problem with that) and that it could take up to 90 days and that that until then we would be billed at the full rate (even though there are just the two of us - and we're stingy with water) This is outrageous! I have written a letter of complaint and if they do not re consider I'll write to OFWAT etc. SWW are a useless firm anyway. Inefficient and uncommunicative. Anyone else had this?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    What do you/they mean by 'billed at the full rate'? - on the 'Rateable Value??
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Get on to them and demand to have an assessed charge from the day you first contacted them, I did this when I moved in and they refused to put a meter in. I also refused to pay any bill until it was sorted and blocked my direct debit. Believe me they will reinstate your assessed charge instantly.
    In my case the assessed charge was well below what I would have payed for a metered supply.
    SWW are known for this type of action, you have to get tough with them. They also wanted to charge me for sewerage in the interim, and we have a septic tank!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But they are fully entitled to install a meter on change of occupancy. If they can't, then you can apply for assessed charges billing, but only after they've confirmed that a meter cannot be installed. In the meantime, what else can they bill you on except RV billing? They have no option to discount your charges pending a survey, which may be negative anyway.
    PS: you don't transfer your account, you start a new one at the new property.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport