MSE Poll: Do you welcome the June general election?

2»

Comments

• geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wish we had just come straight out of the EU after the referendum and then done the talking later, it would mostly have been sorted by now by business people.
  • nk123
    nk123 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 April 2017 at 1:43AM
    As I see it, from the day the vote was done, all the parties have run away from the result. UKIP lost face by back tracking their tall claims, DC resigned (he mentioned he will guide through the exit in case the vote went that way), now TM made tall claims that she will be done with in 2 years... Then realized, OMG, what did I just say - did I really trigger Art 50? Let me get more time (another Conservative 5 year period), so that no one bothers me with after the first 2/3 years. Madness this is. There were valid points raised by some: either the opposition is weak - in which case she does not need to worry about opposition; OR the opposition is formidable - in which case this early election is a blunder! And mind you, we are a democracy, not a dictatorship - a healthy democracy is one where dissent is acceptable form of communication. Will the voters be clearer this time round? Hardly! Gamble on while £ is doing good. If nation was the priority, she could have called for GE2017 before triggering Article 50.
  • May is the first PM for quite some time that has tried to do what she has been asked to do by the people. What other PM in the last 20yrs would have got us out of the Eu suppression? Cameron? Brown? B'liar? None of them. They'd twist it all so we ended up stuck in the crazy mess of contracts that skin us alive.

May is the first PM for a while that I do not feel I have to keep watching the TV to see what she is up to. I know she is doing what she agreed to do when taking over from that untrustworthy untruthful Camoron.

Calling this snap election makes lots of sense. It strengthens her bargaining Brexit and that disadvantaged Labour Party are a long long way from becoming a credible party, and I still would not trust them with the Tax kitty. They'd be on a jolly as soon as they got through the black door.

No, there is only one Leader I can trust, and that means I will have to vote for our local Conservative again (even though they waste cash like plonkers). They could'nt even send out correct voting papers and have to trash the whole lot and then resend them out again (just ineffective money wasters). Oh, well, The others are probably worse.

But as for May. She is a leader I feel I can at least trust to do good for this country, rather than someone who makes all those back door deals of service men's lives for fat cat Peace Envoy job etc etc. God there has not been so many wars since he was the """Peace Envoy """". Still a huge joke. But I digress
  • tommix
    tommix Posts: 41,256 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 11:38PM
    I think it's a disgrace..I have far better things to do than ponsing about in Village halls scrawling crosses on bits of paper..

Wouldn't be so bad if the Labour party had half a shout..but let's have it right, this election is a one horse race ridden by a tired old tory telling everybody how great they are and how they've prevented the country from going down the toilet when in reallity half the population's been flushed down the bog, left to scrabble about knee deep in austerity flavoured sewage..

People need to wise up to Mr Corbyn. He is a great man of the people..Sadly it don't look like it's gonna happen.

Sod the Tories, sod the election!:cool:
  • I think she wants a clear mandate from the country - to get the job done and not have to continually fight off pointless challenges.
    My opinion is that Theresa May is fed up with the MP's biting at her heels - those who are trying to score points to make them look good to other MP's, who would rather say 'Look at me aren't I clever to have scored one-up-manship points' instead of trying to get the best deal from the EU.
    As for her so-called 'U-turn' - how can anyone believe that if circumstances change, one must still keep to a plan that was based on circumstances/information that are now old, obsolete and irrelevant ?
    One thing that politicians may have ignored is that the politician running the government and as well as their party will be held responsible for the result of any EU deal for decades to come.
    I have been a lifelong union member and Labour supporter but I believe that only Theresa May, out of all the party leaders, is up to this challenge.
  • shzl400
    shzl400 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I work as a Poll Clerk, so it means I get to earn extra £££.

That having been said, it's a very, very long day from 6am (we have to be there early to set up the Polling Station) through to about 10:30. It can get really boring, if there's a low turnout and we're not busy. So, all you folks out there, exercise your democratic rights and get out and VOTE!
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    shzl400 wrote: »
    I work as a Poll Clerk, so it means I get to earn extra £££.

That having been said, it's a very, very long day from 6am (we have to be there early to set up the Polling Station) through to about 10:30. It can get really boring, if there's a low turnout and we're not busy. So, all you folks out there, exercise your democratic rights and get out and VOTE!
    Maybe we "folks out there" would if the bloody candidates would get off their arrises and actually and campaign face to face rather than sending out leaflets...
  • egarobar
    egarobar Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    https://www.change.org/p/to-all-the-mps-and-candidates-in-the-june-general-election-call-for-a-government-of-national-unity-set-aside-party-politics

The UK is in a state of crisis. Instead of having politicians competing and blaming each other, it's time for a Government of National Unity, like there was in the wartime, to get the UK out of the mess it's in. We don't need another lot of politicians abusing each other. Party Politics is not constructive - it wastes the people's and the candidates' time in pointless competition. What we all need is for the cleverest, most able people in the country to co-operate and collaborate. Working together, we can get the country's problems sorted. #GNU

If you support the idea, please sign the petition on change.org entitled "Call for a Government of National Unity - set aside Party Politics".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure