Missed the deadline for Claims on deceased's Estate

Comments

• mrscmd
    mrscmd Posts: 26 Forumite
    Gosh.. oh well at least I know now - the stuff has just popped up on my computer.. they left net £469,983.

It has been shared between the Fire Brigade and the RNLI, which is wonderful. A very small amount plus all furniture and other items has gone to some chap unknown.

Fair enough - the will was clear. He got the photographs !

At least I know nothing untoward was going on.

Thank you everyone for your input. I can rest easy now!
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Trace chap unknown. He may be very willing to share photos or copy them or leave them to you at a later date.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My thinking is that the naming of 'Chap Unknown' could explain why the OP was not contacted. There was a will, the solicitors dealt with the will as it stood, and there was no mention of OP or other family in the will.

I agree that getting in touch with Chap Unknown would be the way to go. It is possible the solicitors would forward a letter to him if you can't find him by other means. Make it clear you are not challenging the will but would be interested in family photos and knowing that items of sentimental value had gone where they were wanted.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mrscmd
    edited 16 October 2016 at 5:54PM
    Thank you both.. I have actually written a letter, with my heart in my boots as I do not want him to think I am some awful leech, which I am not.

Hopefully I have explained the position acceptably - I have told him I will completely understand if he prefers not to answer my letter.

I do have his address so will post the letter tomorrow.. gulp.

What would be wonderful is if he actually came back with some information re their later life - I know a great deal about their early life in the 20's and 30's and of course I knew them in the 50's onwards but after the 90's we heard little and then nothing, most likely down to them getting on a bit and not feeling like writing.

I will post on here if I hear anything.. even if it is just a flea in my ear.
  • poppystar
    mrscmd wrote: »

What would be wonderful is if he actually came back with some information re their later life - I know a great deal about their early life in the 20's and 30's and of course I knew them in the 50's onwards but after the 90's we heard little and then nothing, most likely down to them getting on a bit and not feeling like writing.

Did you put that in the letter? He may be very happy to chat, especially if he too is elderly and alone (ok, making assumptions there..). Showing an interest in their lives and also explaining about your father may tip the likelihood of a reply in your favour. I'm sure it would if I were 'chap unknown' :)
  • mrscmd
    I did say I knew all about their upbringing and early life (and the reasons why they became recluses.. or the Lost Aunts as they have become known as to my family.. sounds more romantic!) but I did not like to assume too much.. the chap is 68, 5 years older than myself.. his name means nothing so I would love to know how he knows them.. all to be asked if and when he is willing.. I also told him a bit about their father, my grandpa and why I would love any further pics of him, should there be any.

Fingers crossed.
  • mrscmd
    I received a wonderful number of photographs this morning! I am so happy and thrilled - and amongst them is a wonderful photo of my grandpa, in his uniform as a young fireman! Many pics of my parents, too, as well as the aunts and my grandparents.

Feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you, people, who advised to write - I really was not going to as I was worried he might think I was trying something untoward - but what he has sent is utterly priceless. XXXX
  • poppystar
    edited 20 October 2016 at 8:21PM
    So pleased he was happy to send you the photos - and so quickly too! Thank you for letting us know the outcome.
  • Well done! I had a similar experience about twenty years ago. I sent a very carefully worded letter and heard nothing for a month. Then a package arrived with a DVD of photos and a complete family tree. The sender was, it turned out, related to me and we were subsequently able to exchange many files of data that enabled us both to fill in lots of gaps. Fantastic!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Well done! I had a similar experience about twenty years ago. I sent a very carefully worded letter and heard nothing for a month. Then a package arrived with a DVD of photos and a complete family tree. The sender was, it turned out, related to me and we were subsequently able to exchange many files of data that enabled us both to fill in lots of gaps. Fantastic!

That's impressive recordable DVD only came to the market 15 years ago(2001) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure