Courtesy car insurance

ZZaffy
ZZaffy Posts: 170 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
In October 2014 a car hit me and the driver accepted all responsibility.
My Insurance company told me to ring Easidrive.
Easidrive gave me a courtesy car, which I did not request and I presumed it was part of the insurance package.
My damaged car was removed for repair, and it was several weeks before my car was returned.
Then Easidrive picked up their courtesy car and that was the end of the matter.
Two years on, and I have received a letter from an unknown solicitor asking me to fill in and sign a form for instructing them to act on my behalf, and consenting for them to start court proceedings on my behalf and consenting for any cheques regarding claim to be made to them.
The solicitor also rang me and said that the insurance company are in deadlock and I could be liable to pay the cost of the hire car which is about £3000.
The letter which came with the form says, if I fail to co-operate and reject their reasonable advise, I will incur their charges.
I read on a website that some people have been landed with court fees too.
Any advise would be helpful.
I am thinking it may be safest to pay the courtesy car charges before things get out of control. £3,000 is better than an unknown quantity.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Speak and send all correspondence to you insurer.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    Duplicated thread....
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ZZaffy
    Thank you neilmcl. I will contact them asap.
  • ZZaffy
    forgotmyname - duplicate thread because I was not sure if post should go under insurance or motoring.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ZZaffy wrote: »
    Thank you neilmcl. I will contact them asap.

Speaking to your own Insurers is fairly pointless.

You were provided with a "Credit Hire" vehicle, basically a hire car at an inflated cost that you sign a credit agreement for. The inflated costs are claimed from the third parties Insurers.

Sometimes the 3rd Party will dispute the hire car charges and the CH company will threaten court action. As part of the agreement you have signed for the vehicle you agreed to assist Easydrive to pursue the hire car costs. They need your assistance as the court case will be raised in your name as in effect you incurred the costs of the hire vehicle.

As they have pointed out, if you don't assist them, they will not be able to reclaim the costs from the third party and will then seek the costs from you (This was in your agreement).

The good news is that they very rarely reach court as it's a waste of money for the third party Insurers in court costs. Generally an agreement is reached prior to the court date.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    dacouch wrote: »
    Speaking to your own Insurers is fairly pointless.

You were provided with a "Credit Hire" vehicle, basically a hire car at an inflated cost that you sign a credit agreement for. The inflated costs are claimed from the third parties Insurers
    I disagree. His insurer put him in touch with the credit-hire company, the OP should not be dealing with a TP solicitor directly, that's the insurer's job.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I disagree. His insurer put him in touch with the credit-hire company, the OP should not be dealing with a TP solicitor directly, that's the insurer's job.

They are not a third party solicitor, his Insurer gave him their telephone number, he rang it and then (Presumably) sign a contract between the OP and Easydrive. The contract makes him liable for the costs if he does not assist in the recovery of the hire car charges.

His own Insurer will just direct him back to Easy Drive.

Here is the answer the OP received on the other thread he received.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5538235
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    That assumes that the OP actually agreed to a contract.

Signing the form might not be in the OP's best interest if there never was a contract between the OP and the car hire company in the first place.

So, ZZaffy, did you sign any paperwork when you took delivery of the hire car - and did you actually read it?

I would be having some serious words with the insurance company - that's the one you were with back then, not necessarily your current one. Dig out the old paperwork.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure