We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Creosote

Anyone know if the modern version is as good at frightening away moles/voles as the old one?
I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.

Comments

• SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    I think it was when we joined the EU that creosote stopped being sold, after Brexit it may come back in the shops again.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Unlikely it will return, and no, the substitute will not scare moles...

One more reason to profess to being a remoaner!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are you referring to creoCote? It's not in any way comparable to creosote. But if you pretend you're in the trade you can buy the proper stuff.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Unlikely it will return, and no, the substitute will not scare moles...
    Err, I can still get it, but I've no idea how it might be used to scare off moles, so what 'was' the method used?

I've called a truce with the moles. They're too smart for me. I just won't plant any more hedges over trenches enriched with farmyard manure, thus creating a mole super-highway! :rotfl:
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Oh, it's still available, for professional use only... which is a movable feast in anyone's book. In fact, it's still available full stop (full stop)

But, Brexit (Brentry, Blairentry, Remexit... whatever) will have no effect on that.

Supposedly, stick a rag soaked in the stuff, and bung itdown the hole... They'd move out pronto, supposedlh.

I've given up too, no chance since they run from the water meadows to my garden when the river rises. Quite like them, actually!
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's ok then, I assumed it was not available, so its back to Fargro, as I don't have to pretend to be in the trade. As for using it to scare moles I tipped a small amount down the holes. They could not smell the earth worms so went elsewhere, did not damage the lawn. Hopefully it works with bank voles, we've been invaded by them.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hopefully it works with bank voles, we've been invaded by them.

Put up an owl nesting box!
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Am working on it, winter project.
  • elaineruk
    elaineruk Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    :rotfl:I remember helping my Dad paint our fence with creosote when I was about 8 - no health and saftey stuff in those days:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure