PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What to Offer

We are first time buyers and have found a place we like. It's not an absolute must but we do like it. It's on offer for £290,000 (it's a 2 bed flat - welcome to the South ) and an identical place went for £265,000 in March 2016. It's been on the market for 7 weeks and I am pretty sure no one is as interested as we are (yet). I have also noticed that the market is slowing down - at least in terms of what is coming on for sale. But the sellers are not in a rush either. I have two concerns - are we buying at the top of the market and how much do we offer? I do not want to annoy the EA but this is also at the top of our range so want to get a good deal! How much negotiating do you do and how many "counter-offers" is the norm? I feel at such a disadvantage with the EA being on the sellers side and being first time buyer.

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    We are first time buyers and have found a place we like. It's not an absolute must but we do like it. It's on offer for £290,000 (it's a 2 bed flat - welcome to the South ) and an identical place went for £265,000 in March 2016. It's been on the market for 7 weeks and I am pretty sure no one is as interested as we are (yet). I have also noticed that the market is slowing down - at least in terms of what is coming on for sale. But the sellers are not in a rush either. I have two concerns - are we buying at the top of the market and how much do we offer? I do not want to annoy the EA but this is also at the top of our range so want to get a good deal! How much negotiating do you do and how many "counter-offers" is the norm? I feel at such a disadvantage with the EA being on the sellers side and being first time buyer.

If you don`t mind negative equity go in firmly at 300k, but don`t budge from that.
  • abbieJ
    abbieJ Posts: 7 Forumite
    If you are ok with 300k offer, I would go for 290k at first, so that I can negotiate later if needed.

Good luck!
  • mouthscradle
    mouthscradle Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    I'm confused, why would they go in at £300k? The OP doesn't say it's on "offers over" £290k. I'd be going in at £270k if nobody else is interested, then £280k if rejected. Some would probably say go lower, if it's been on the market a while.
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you don`t mind negative equity go in firmly at 300k, but don`t budge from that.

I'm intrigued how you are aware of the op's mortgage requirements, or do you not know what negative equity means?
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    I think crashy is making a joke along the lines of how Kirsty and Phil used to 'negotiate' on behalf of their tv clients ;)
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It is sometimes said that if your first offer doesn't embarrass you, then it is too high! However, it is also wise not to leave the vendor feeling insulted which can get negotiations off to a bad start.

What are the circumstances of the seller? Are they in a hurry to move quickly?

How does the price compare to other properties currently on the market?

Are there any obvious differences in condition between this property and the one that sold last year for £265k?
  • Thanks for the advice - that is similar to what I was thinking - to offer £270,000 but be willing to negotiate up. The seller is not in a hurry unfortunately and the place is almost identical to the one sold a year ago (it is in a new-ish development). It is quite hard to price because it is in an area with very few flats although I did find a similar spec house for sale close by for £300,000. The house does come with a garage and small garden but will probably have a lot of road noise in comparison to the place we are interested in (it's almost on a main dual carriageway). My other concerns with the flat are the lease is only 96 years and services charges are quite expensive
  • Have you tried asking the seller what they want?

If it's been on the market for 7 weeks then it's unlikely to get into a bidding war. Why is the seller looking to sell, can they afford to have it on the market for much longer,is there a pressing deadline they need to meet?

Once you've got all that answered, you know where you stand. From there, can you negotiate the seller downwards?
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice - that is similar to what I was thinking - to offer £270,000 but be willing to negotiate up. The seller is not in a hurry unfortunately and the place is almost identical to the one sold a year ago (it is in a new-ish development). It is quite hard to price because it is in an area with very few flats although I did find a similar spec house for sale close by for £300,000. The house does come with a garage and small garden but will probably have a lot of road noise in comparison to the place we are interested in (it's almost on a main dual carriageway). My other concerns with the flat are the lease is only 96 years and services charges are quite expensive

If it is at the top of your price range and the service charge is high I would check you can get a mortgage, the service charge and ground rent will be taken into account when applying.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    I'd definitely go in at £300k... just think of the prestige you could bestow upon yourselves by setting a new price ceiling for the street.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure