ISP Censorship

Comments

• dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2017 at 5:28PM
    Uxb wrote: »
    ..and the blame for all for this
    Firmly at the door of those who refuse to pay for copyrighted material and will seemingly do anything to get it for free no matter how cheap is the real thing .

are you rupert murdoch? i take it you have never used a library.

i am not a soccer supporter but when you have a crazy situation where the rest of the world can watch a sat 3pm game but a local supporter can't you are always going to find people looking for ways to correct the injustice
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    are you rupert murdoch? i take it you have never used a library.

I take it then that you have never heard of the money that authors get when their works are borrowed form a library - if the said authors sign up for it?
  • Uxb
    GunJack wrote: »
    So are you saying I'd have to pay for a Business service at home, just to cover the times I work from home and need to use the Company-provided VPN??

You've got it
  • Uxb
    The one problem they have is assuming everyone who uses these services would otherwise be a customer paying their premium prices. I suspect the actual cost to the industry is only a fraction of what is claimed.

I'll remember that one the next time I take a train.
    The train is clearly going to the destination anyway - so clearly my extra as a passenger is not actually costing them hardly anything at all so the cost is just a minute fraction of the charge.
    Perhaps we should all start not paying for train tickets.......

Actually the same applies to virtually any business. The actual cost of physically doing a job is quite small compare to the real charge levied on the consumer.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2017 at 7:15PM
    I take it then that you have never heard of the money that authors get when their works are borrowed form a library - if the said authors sign up for it?

i didn't think authors got paid everytime the book was borrowed. i thought the library paid once for the book and then shared it x amount of times. much like any other content shared online.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'll remember that one the next time I take a train.
    The train is clearly going to the destination anyway - so clearly my extra as a passenger is not actually costing them hardly anything at all so the cost is just a minute fraction of the charge.
    Perhaps we should all start not paying for train tickets.......

Actually the same applies to virtually any business. The actual cost of physically doing a job is quite small compare to the real charge levied on the consumer.

Eh? At no point did I mention anything about justifying illegal downloads. The focus was purely on the inflated damages the industry is claiming based on some inane assumptions on their part.

In other words, they assume that every streamer/downloader would have went to the cinema and paid over the odds to see the film when in reality it it wasn't available to download/stream, they would either have waited until it was on tv, was only £3 in asda/tesco or perhaps not have seen it at all.

Research conducted over the last decade has proven time and time again that those who pirate/stream spend more on media than those who don't. But of course, they don't ever take into account any benefit they receive from the pirate/streaming industry - only their inane inflated losses.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ^^ Cant upvote that enough
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    In other words, they assume that every streamer/downloader would have went to the cinema and paid over the odds to see the film when in reality it it wasn't available to download/stream, they would either have waited until it was on tv, was only £3 in asda/tesco or perhaps not have seen it at all.

This is the truth that they're keen to hide and the reason I say that censorship/filtering is not really about piracy.

They do simply assume that each download is a copy they don't sell, when in truth most downloaders wouldn't have bought it anyway.

It's been said that illegal downloads actually force the studios to make better quality films, because no longer do you have to buy the film in order to find out it was terrible. It gets the film out there, it gets people talking about it, as a result good films sell more copies and bad films sell much less.

Here's the kicker, it's the authorities and the big corporate interests that like to get the film industry riled up about piracy, because as I mentioned earlier they're trying to fully control our access to free and impartial information and gaining allies is an important step.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i didn't think authors got paid everytime the book was borrowed. i thought the library paid once for the book and then shared it x amount of times. much like any other content shared online.
    They get paid when a book is borrowed - it's called the Public Lending Right, apparently.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AndyPix wrote: »
    At the moment, they only block websites, not servers.

Can you (or anyone) elaborate...?

I mean, websites are only available on servers, so what is the difference between blocking a website and a server?

Does website blocking only involve blocking HTTP(S)? Or were only HTML files blocked...? And now they're blocking an IP/domain...?

And how does this work with cloud computing? As I understand it, a cloud server could be providing websites for thousands of unrelated organisations? Surely they can't just take out legitimate businesses if a single illegal stream is found?

What if someone live streams a football match on, say, YouTube, are the ISPs going to totally shut down YouTube while the match is on?!

Will the ISP's be responsible for paying compensation to businesses that are inadvertently affected by their actions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure