Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Options

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 July 2016 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Seems like the money thing I was dreading has not come to fruition :T plus I have been cheeky and asked the mortgage provider if they would consider this weeks published rates (0.15%) lower than what we've been offered. Need to do a call on Thursday to confirm. Every little helps.

I've finally got round to listing some extra items on fleabay. One item that I put on on the off chance sold for £4. Can't believe it, I've moved them so many times in the last couple of years. I could have just listed them. Learning more than ever there is no rhyme or reason as to what sells and what doesn't. Have packaged to post tomorrow and moved money - split between 3 savings pots. I've a new rule that I can't move the money until it's wrapped. Focuses ones mind :rotfl:

Hoping the other items sell too. I've also sorted 3 large bags for charity shop, put in boot so one step closer to declutter. Also put 2 bags of nappy bags in with some things too donate to a friend, will likely drop round tomorrow is she is home. Think I've de cluttered about 120 items, plus 2 pairs of shoes that can go to recycling, they are beyond even the CS.

Used some home grown rhubarb and strawberries that won't last past the weekend to make muffins. Didn't have any cases so fashioned some from baking parchment. Left over rice and half a can of coconut milk made egg fried rice and Chinese dumplings. One of the most barginous meals I do :rotfl: plus girls ate the dumplings for the first time :) further progress on getting them to be more adventurous.

DD has party tomorrow, whilst she's there well pop to town with other DD who has needed glasses for first time this week. Got her some that don't cost to start with very :money: will see how she gets on

Both did stage two of big reading challenge today and I ordered some more books online. Picked up one 1 ordered before at same time to save petrol

Managed to drive about 3 miles on total electric in my new car (that was generated form braking ;)) still learning how it works. New car is from work, so no additional cost to me, if you were thinking it's not very DFW In fact will be cheaper on tax :)

Think that's about all for today. Good day all round :)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on your ebaying PF. I totally agree that there is no rhyme or reason to sales. That said I find childrens toys and accessories always sell. I have made money on trading cards, big toys (teksta puppy, the thundertank) & things like bike helmets.

I am trying to get rid of my husbands comic collection which is ridiculously large. Thousands. He collected for a good 10+ years. We go through fits and starts with it.

I have 2 expensive items on at the moment. The one thats been on about a month has sold once (idiot buyer didnt look at collection only post code) and had one bid on it that was £100 lower than asking price. Buyer wouldnt offer higher. The other item I only put on yesterday. If they both go its potentially £600 which would be very nice :)

Sorry to ramble in your diary!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Well done on your ebaying PF. I totally agree that there is no rhyme or reason to sales. That said I find childrens toys and accessories always sell. I have made money on trading cards, big toys (teksta puppy, the thundertank) & things like bike helmets.

I am trying to get rid of my husbands comic collection which is ridiculously large. Thousands. He collected for a good 10+ years. We go through fits and starts with it.

I have 2 expensive items on at the moment. The one thats been on about a month has sold once (idiot buyer didnt look at collection only post code) and had one bid on it that was £100 lower than asking price. Buyer wouldnt offer higher. The other item I only put on yesterday. If they both go its potentially £600 which would be very nice :)

Sorry to ramble in your diary!

Hi Bob thanks for popping by, you're not rambling it all makes perfect sense! Wow £600 would be lovely, wouldn't it.

I tend to sell my toys at local NCT sale which is very good if you haven't done it before. There's loads all over the country. Takes a couple of evenings to label, but make about £100 per sale. Charity takes 30% so the sales are actually higher than that. I volunteer but you don't have to 'man' your stuff so to speak so it's good time wise too. Will look at fleabay for any big/ costly things I gave though.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Lovely day with the family. Shame I didn't read the packet and put spicy chorizo in the slow cooker sausage casserole I did for tea. So smalls and emergency fish fingers :o mr PF wasn't complaint though. Also found 4 sweet potato in cupboard. Best before March 16. One was a bit manky, remaining three baked fine and I scooped out the inside for mash :T also used up some mixed beans from use up box.

Having roast tomorrow and found everything apart from carrots (which I have fresh) in freezer, have got out to defrost. May make some Yorkshire puds as a treat :D

Noticed back window was really playing up tonight, have already had quote for it but may need to up funds to this pot and get done before the rest. Will dig out quote and see how much it was for that specific window. Add to tomorrow's list.

Early night, watching Harry Potter :D
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the NCT tip, thats good to know.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    edited 31 July 2016 at 11:08PM
    Options
    Listed another 8 or so items on fleabay. One sold already :Tjust hope I haven't under estimated postage, will wrap in morning and wonder to post office. Have gone for a mixture of fixed price and auction. All of it has been hanging around too long.

DH has been doing a Stirling job on loft, lovely now all floored. Went up today and got this stash down, sure there is more to go at. Found loads of scrapbooking stuff from years ago when I quite fancied it, however, I'm so far from artistic it's untrue. May dig that out next and see what can be sold on.

Listed a couple of things on local selling site too.

Took smalls to soft play at local garden centre, I drank tap water and I sneaked in a snack bar for me and girls. DH had a milkshake but said it was a rip off and would have water next time too ;)

Treated smalls to an icecream :) I treated myself to a new peg basket after my last one dropped off the line and smashed on the patio. Will come from house budget :D how rock and roll my life has become :rotfl:

Didn't manage to freeze any of the muffins I made :o means diet has gone squarely out of the window (that said I could have easily eaten a lemon and almond scone on sale at the garden centre so it could have been worse) wish I could find something to scratch may baking itch that wasn't bread or cake :o

Found another bag for charity shop too :T

Spent much of the weekend reading fortune smiles diary. She has a lovely balance of fun, saving and MS plans. It's really inspiring learning methods from lots of different people - I'm stealing all my favourite bits. Her menu range is, what can only be described as, epic. I must plan a better range of meals. We eat really well, all home cooked (apart from the odd emergency fish finger like yesterday) but I tend to 'forget' about recipes until something triggers. Like risotto, not had one for ages, used to be a weekly staple. Must do some research before this weeks meal plan. Have veg box coming Wednesday and tomorrow is fry up of roast left overs, so likely muddle through Tuesday and then meal plan (with help of g00df00d) from Wednesday onward.

Found an amazing giant, and I mean giant (about 5 foot high) plant pot on sale (in sale) at garden centre was £105 reduced from £350 :eek: I wouldn't buy it but, wow, it was stunning as so simple.

I did look longingly at a small upright greenhouse thing. We had one at outer old house but the garden was such as wind trap, nothing could weigh it down. Am thinking about getting one for winter, might keep an eye out on local selling page. Really want to up veg at home anti - both girls starting to ask how things 'work' and I'm keen for us to learn together. Stuff to think about.

No bank updates over the weekend but lots of bills pending for tomorrow as 1st. All ready and waiting in bills account. No pads likely this week as DH doesn't get paid until Friday and not sure how much it'll be as he has done overtime. So only extra to the pot this week will be selling £. Then hopefully overpayment on Friday.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're making me blush PF :o

I do love cooking and experimenting with different recipes. BBCG00dF00d is my favourite site too - so easy to search for recipes built on whatever you have sulking in the fridge.

I think my spendings equal my savings and could very easily overtake them so my diary is about trying to get the balance right.

Good luck with your MS efforts this month - can't quite believe it's August already.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :shhh::shhh:
    :embarasse:embarasse:embarasse
    *sneaks in 4 months late*

Hi PF :wave:
    I'm so sorry that I've been too wrapped up in my bubble of my own self pity that I didn't know that you had a diary. Especially as you name checked me right at the beginning.
    Still, I'm here now. I've subscribed. And you have inspired me to get back on with the meal planning.
    :grouphug:
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Thanks for popping by fortune and CCL

CCL don't worry about being late to the bash. There's still plenty of cake :rotfl: plus with everything you had going on just getting out the house was a result. I to gave a confession, despite your name and the fact you've never referenced any other animals other than your cats, only yesterday did I realise you naughty tortie was a cat and not a tortoise :eek::rotfl: oops. Must not speed read ;)

Did some 1st month planning activities and updated spreadsheet with further savings targets (with formula) I love a formula :o fir when current is complete. :T

Went to rental property, needs new shower and associated unit. Not bad as current was in when I bought 16 years ago, so can't complain. Think I'm getting from friend in trade who will do at cost albeit he was being a bit vague on cost. Friend of tenant fitting it.

Will need to wait to see this cost before I decide how many doors we can afford to replace this month at home.

At last of hm crumble and custard for pud. Loving and warming and perfect for weather conditions - very cold for time of year :o

Cat curled up beside me for free warmth :D

Back to work tomorrow - boo! Made chorizo pasta with OOD quark for lunch. Hopefully it will be filling to keep me out of chocolates way and back on dieting track.

Shuffled some money around for presents given today and some from house fund. Going to research which account I can open that DH and I can both have access to that we can put food budget in and use and see if that focuses the mind. We've been tracking it for a year, it's come down considerably but would like more. At least this way, we could put any savings to budget to savings directly rather than it just been in the current acc. Also we can manage budget up/down accordingly.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Posted fleabay item first thing :) so NSD apart from that - I don't track them as I find it difficult to, and I'm better to look at my overall pot than how frequently I'm dipping in to it.

Need to send return back to n3xt and fill in electr0l roll confirmation that arrived today. Got very excited last night about switching accounts to M&S for our food account, however, when I read it fully I'd only get this if I fully switched and I'm very happy with our bank, we've been with them ages and the service is always great (they always come top in the surveys) so will need to think again. We'll open an account either way, but would obviously rather do it with some incentive.

Cashed out £4.33 from £co and £1.11 from my work perks page. Will move to savings when it arrives.

DH made spag bol for tea - leftovers boxed up for lunch tomorrow. have avoided going to supermarket tonight, DH will get 4 things needed after work tomorrow.

Veg box due in the morning - am excited :rotfl: do I need to get out more :o

Have just ordered a product for a customer for my part-time business. Have one in stock also, so will move profit to savings account when she pays me on Monday.

Have updated my spreadsheet with food spends for last week or so. May do half an hour of christmas present shopping to see if I can get a couple more as DH is in bed for a fwee hours before his night shift so just me and the box - should keep me away from the cupboards :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback