Marriage Allowance

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    If the tax code has been issued to her and her employer then it's up to the employer to correct it. How long that takes will depend on them.
  • fd1972uk
    fd1972uk Posts: 459
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not saw her tax code though from HMRC. It probably came in when we implemented it, but can't even remember seeing a notification for that, but defo nothing received in past few weeks for her.

FD
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,431
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My wife does not work and most of her savings are in Isa,s so no issue with tax on savings income.
    I am a high rate tax payer,can I claim this money ?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    redmalc wrote: »
    My wife does not work and most of her savings are in Isa,s so no issue with tax on savings income.
    I am a high rate tax payer,can I claim this money ?

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance-guide/how-it-works
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,431
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    thanks for that,it was worth a try but i earn above the 43K ceiling
  • The guide states that if you apply online the backdated amount will be given via your changed tax code but my code has only increased by £1,100 (ie. the amount transferred to me by my wife). Is there something else I need to do?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,701
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The guide states that if you apply online the backdated amount will be given via your changed tax code but my code has only increased by £1,100 (ie. the amount transferred to me by my wife). Is there something else I need to do?
    Only this year's allowance, backdated to April 2016, will be added. Last year's will generally be payable by cheque.
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes and if dividends are received they are part of your taxable income for both last year and this tax year.
    There is now a £5000 dividend allowance but the first £5000 of dividend income remains taxable income its just that it is now taxed at 0%, a bit like the personal savings allowance which has just started.
    Tax doesn't have to be taxing (but often is :mad:)

Thanks for this

I was hoping to be able to transfer Marriage Allowance from my wife who had approx £10k of dividend income last year as well as £6k pension. From what you say that is not allowed.

Boo!
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    joerugby wrote: »
    Thanks for this

I was hoping to be able to transfer Marriage Allowance from my wife who had approx £10k of dividend income last year as well as £6k pension. From what you say that is not allowed.

Boo!

I've just found this

"a spouse or civil partner who is not liable to income tax because their income is below their personal allowance or who is liable to income tax at the basic rate, dividend ordinary rate or the starting rate for savings will be able to elect to transfer £1,050 of their personal allowance to their spouse or civil partner.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/293790/TIIN_2518_transferable_tax_allowance_for_married_couples_and_civil_partners.pdf

Perhaps I can use my wife's £1,060 after all?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    joerugby wrote: »
    Perhaps I can use my wife's £1,060 after all?

Even if you can use it, you (plural) may not benefit from it.

AIUI, Marriage Allowance Transfer only delivers a benefit if the donor has Personal Allowance that they can't make use of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback