PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 421 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss!
    Two brand new Cotton Traders short sleeved blouses for £2.50 each from my local hospice shop. Should have been £5.00 each but all ladies tops were half the marked price today.
    Not been buying as much as I used to from CS as for a while now I have felt that the prices of the clothes on offer have been going up and the quality down. However lots of you on here get some good bargains so that's great as it shows that there is still good stuff to be had out there.
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Some super finds whilst in the city on an errand.

2 vintage linen pillowcases with hand crochet trim...£5.50 each..seems expensive but they are in superb condition and would cost a lot of money in an antique shop. Also vintage cotton pyjama case £1.50. :)

Gap skirt £1
    River Island skirt £1

3 vintage Robertson Jam large storage jars £3 :) !!!!!

2 red and white Melba Ware Tea and coffee storage jars £3.

Really delighted with these purchases.
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    was in York ... DS had forgotten his jumper and was wearing my black cardi ( luckily i only do 'plain' cardi's!!! ) we went into one CS and whilst they had nothing there we wanted, the prices were rather high! then across the road into another and i got a stunning Laura Ashley pale violet fitted cotton cardi for £3 !!! don't think it had ever been worn! didn't find a jumper for DS though, so he kept my black cardi on!

alot of my clothes come from CS, but some are definately getting more expensive!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TudorRose wrote: »
    Not been buying as much as I used to from CS as for a while now I have felt that the prices of the clothes on offer have been going up and the quality down. However lots of you on here get some good bargains so that's great as it shows that there is still good stuff to be had out there.

You're right. Fortunately I have a lot of CSs close to me so when I have the time I have a quick browse and sometimes I'm lucky. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for good quality items but I do object paying for cheap, well-worn tat!

It seems mostly the national chains that are getting expensive. I now make a point of donating stuff to a local charity as they have sensible prices and reduce things a bit each week if they don't sell.
  • mishmogs
    mishmogs Posts: 460 Forumite
    a couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of unusual Camper sandals for £4, never been worn and they have been through the washing machine already!

Yesterdays bargain was a singer hand sewing machine for £15 with tools, book, extender, bobbins etc. and it works beautifully. Been watching them on Eb*y but for £70+ plus postage - no way and a pair of yellow/gold vintage curtains lined which have never been hung for £3. I am going to convert one into a roman blind. Happy days.

I like using pretty china bowls to serve and store food and can usually get them for a £1 or £1.25 each and at that price, am not too bothered when DH who is exceptionally clumsy breaks one.

I wish I could find some enamel cookware, its like gold dust.

I have been a charity shop shopper for as long as there have been charity shops and kitted out my first home from them and most of my present home (excluding beds and sofas) :D.
    SPC Nbr.... 1484....£800 Saved £946 in 2013)
    (£1,010 in 2014)
    Coveted :staradmin :staradmin from Sue - :D

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    A pink gingham single duvet cover, a couple of children`s indigo dresses and tops and some paperbacks in a boxed set. Also a large pyrex measuring jug. I always find things when I go to this particular C.S but it is never what I intended to look for! Adds to the anticipation!
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A big print of a dollar bill with Al Pachino in Scarface on it for hubby's man cave £1.50

a Ralph Lauren Polo Shirt in mint green for £5
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Today's bargain from the community chazza shop was a pair of ladies Next chinos in a stone colour. They had been newly washed but not ironed so looked a bit of a mess. Did a bit of heavy duty ironing and they look like new and a perfect fit. Price £1.70 :)
  • In the heart research shop in Otley yesterday I got a navy jacket by La Redoute. Perfect match for a cs white and navy skirt I got a couple of weeks ago. Not cheap at £4.99 but it's brand new and a perfect fit so very happy. (Just need inviting somewhere smart to wear my outfit now!) Succumbed to four books in the Lions book shop to add to my ever increasing collection, even though I really don't need any more! And a beautiful china mug by Dunoon Ceramics for 50p. So a good day!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Some great finds :)

Yesterday had to go on business to a large market town and called in to a shop I hadn't been in for years. A large heavy bed cover had just been 'put out' chocolate/caramel with green modern floral decoration. Lady said you wont have to wash that but I decided to anyway :) It is massive but I have a large washing machine. Washed like a ribbon and whilst I hung it on the line I saw a label 'Bedeck' !!!!!!!!!!

I was so excited. It is gorgeous and its going on my bed today. I paid £6 for it :)

Also same shop brand new pair of mens jeans with label £3
    Vintage 1940's childs hat 50p :)
    Vintage White cotton/linen mix tablecloth £1 :)
    Cushion cross stitch kit with all its threads etc. 50p :)

A great day's shopping :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport