PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone use an electric egg boiler?

Trying to do PERFECT soft boiled eggs on my electric hob is almost impossible and I'm tempted to get an electric egg boiler. I found one on the Amazon site which seems to have mixed reviews. The whole point of getting one would be to get the results I can't achieve the old fashioned way.

Does anyone have one? My perfct soft boiled egg is the sort that has the white set and the yolk runny.

Comments

• I have never tried the electric egg boilers, but I generally get good results on my electric hob using the following method with medium size eggs - Place the eggs in a small saucepan and just say cover with cold water. Place on the hob and bring to the boil, as soon as the water boils begin timing and give exactly two and a half minutes. Remove from the water immediately. Cut the tops off and eat as soon as possible as the eggs continue to cook slightly after they are placed in the egg cups.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi there

Yes, I have one, which I purchased in Lidl about a year and a half ago. At the time I had no hob and this thing was marvellous to get a properly cooked egg. It came with instructions for soft boiled, hard boiled and anything in between. It was only a few pounds and felt it was well worth it.

Have you had a look at Delia's instructions for a boiled egg? Now that I've got a hob I find I can't go wrong with her method. I've looked on her website and she doesn't give the instructions there, but it is in her "How To Cook" book 1. It's less fiddly than using the egg boiler and gives as predictable results.

HTH.

SnowyOwl
  • I've got one of those egg timer thingies from Lakeland which you put into the water with the egg - I am a medium soft person myself............. a bit of a firm yellow but some runny too............... and no funny remarks :snow_laug
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • I threw away one of those 'in the water' timers as it was useless. Soft boiled came out hard boiled etc...

I have tried using the oven clock as the timer then dunking the eggs in cold water when I think the time is up - but they're still hard boiled!

I've tried cutting the time right back - result = runny egg whites as well. Urgh!

I think my hob take a while to get up to speed heatwise, and this may be the problem. I've tried starting with hot water, cold water, eggs from the fridge, eggs at room temperature and finally -

I'm now having scrambled egg in the microwave!
  • Louisepp
    Louisepp Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not good at boiled eggs, so what I do is cook them for the minimum, then take the top off. If the whites are runny, I gently lower them into the water again with the tops off. As long as the water isn't bubbling, the white doesn't come out of the egg. It just sets to perfection :snow_grin
    Cambridge Weight Plan Consultant
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Obviously a bit of leeway allowed in the timing - I do large eggs for four and a half mins and they still work with my soldiers... Have tried both the 'fridge to pan then time from boiling' and 'remember to take out of fridge and add to boiling water' methods with the same timings.

Money-saving tip for electric hobs - put a couple of extras in and leave them when you switch off for your hard-boiled eggy sarnies..
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i know this is an old thread but i have just been given one of those small electric egg cookers, does 7 at a time apparently

thing is the measuring cup thingy which tells u how much water to put in for soft or hard etc and for how many eggs is missing,, anyone got any idea how much i should use?

thanks
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    shykins wrote: »
    i know this is an old thread but i have just been given one of those small electric egg cookers, does 7 at a time apparently

thing is the measuring cup thingy which tells u how much water to put in for soft or hard etc and for how many eggs is missing,, anyone got any idea how much i should use?

thanks

Ah - but the measuring cup thingy is exactly the key to the perfectly boiled egg! It will be difficult for anyone else to tell you the right quantity of water for the right quantity of egg and how you like them boiled, because all makes are different. Maybe you can find out via the web and get a replacement measuring cup for your particular make? I have a little Braun for 3 eggs, bought in 1999 in Denmark, and always use it, it is one gadget that merits its place. I wanted to buy same one for my mother and never found it again anywhere...... but if for any reason I lost the measuring cup I'd be totally lost. If you can't fiind a new measuring cup, the only solution will be a long period of trial and error!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • i purchased an egg boiler ages ago sounds the same as yours shykins as it does 7 eggs and made by Bosch...
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I am considering buying an egg cooker, mainly because they have one on offer in Aldi tomorrow and I noticed it poached eggs too. I can't do either normally so if I can have a gadget that does it for me I want it..lol

Has anyone used one of these electric egg cookers, or got one? And what do they think of it? Are they worth it.. Bearing in mind I love boiled eggs and would have them happily every day if I could..lol

Thanks in advance..xx
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business