Easyjet - Flight prices changes depending on currency. Is this normal?

Hi again

I am looking to book a one way return flight with EJ from Prague to Stansted. I've been keeping an eye on prices, but when doing so I always looked at a return flight so that the prices came up in GBP.

So - for example - when looking at a RETURN flight with the return being on 13/08, the standard price is £112.99. But when I look at this same date (13/08) as a one way, the price is 3839czk. That translates to £131.

Does anyone know where the extra £18 comes from?

Cheers

Max

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Easyjet fares include a £15 administration fee. On a round trip that is charged once. If booking two one-ways you would be charged twice. The fee is however within the displayed fares.

"Standard Fare information
    All our standard flight prices are shown for one adult travelling, one way and include all taxes, fees (including our £15 administration fee) and charges. A fee may apply for paying by credit card, which is shown when you select “pay by credit card” as an option. Hold luggage is not included and can be added for an additional fee. "
  • Thanks Westin.

That certainly covers some of the discrepancy... But by my calculator it should result in an increase of £7.50, not £18. So does anyone have any idea why the additional money?

Cheers
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you book STN-PRG-STN on their uk website you'll be quoted GBP prices.

If you book PRG-STN on their uk website it's the GBP price converted to CZK.

If you book PRG-STN-PRG on their czk website you'll be quoted CZK prices.

If you book STN-PRG on their czech website it's the CZK price converted to GBP.

easyJet operate a basket of flights so you can go to their different country websites, after clearing cookies, and get the flights you want by adding and deleting flights as appropriate.

You need to know which currencies are weaker than GBP if you want to take advantage of this.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Thank richardw, I see what you're saying, but unless they are making up their own conversion rates I don't see how it can account for a £18 difference if all that is at stake is the conversion (and the fee aspect as pointed out by Westin).

Or perhaps I'm missing understanding something?!

How do I get to the Czech EJ website? Could anyone provide a link please?

Cheers
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    easyJet.cz is my guess.

Double check all prices and exchange rates before booking and any card charges for different currencies.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Yeah, I tried .cz but with no success.

There are no card charges for the Flexi Fares. So still stumped as t why there's such a large difference.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you book STN - PRG - STN the included EZY admin fee is £15.

If you book STN - PRG then separately PRG - STN you pay 2 x £15 admin fees.

These are costed in to the price but might be why a single fare appears higher than the same flight segment in a round trip.

The other £3 could be a mix of the extra payment fee and FX on 2 x one ways.
  • Thanks for the reply Westin.
    Westin wrote: »
    If you book STN - PRG then separately PRG - STN you pay 2 x £15 admin fees.

But I never did that. When I look at the one way, I look at one way only.

So, to my mind:

- STN - PRG - STN includes the admin fee of £15. So that makes it an admin fee of £7.50 per flight, seeing as there are two.

- PRG - STN ONLY (which is the other price I have been looking at and questioning) includes an admin fee of £15. As it is a single flight, that means the admin fee is £15 for that flight alone...

...as opposed to £7.50 for the flight alone in the first example when the fee was divided by two.

= Which would mean there should be a difference of £7.50 with regard the admin fee. And fair enough there might be a bit more for an unfavourable rate, etc. But a difference of £18 is still baffling me a bit.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious but I'm struggling to see it any other way...
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If I am traveling overseas I always check the prices on the outward country's web pages. They can be a bit cheaper. For some reason .co.uk sites charge more.
  • Thanks comeandgo, but I can't see how to get to Easyjet.cz (or whatever the Easyjet Czech website would be). If anyone know or has a link so that I can try, that would be most helpful.

Ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport