PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

solicitor wants proof of funds

2»

Comments

• cyberrich
    cyberrich Posts: 6 Forumite
    A suitcase full of cash? It was an envelope containing £20 notes. £3,500 is not a fortune.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Now you are splitting hairs.It's an expression.

Whether it's a suitcase or an envelope does not alter the solicitor's duty!
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When we lived in Spain, we only kept enough in the bank to pay the direct debits with, and kept the rest in the house. The reason for this was that we were on a very small income, and Spanish Banks can raid your account to pay (for example) a tax bill. We wanted control over when we paid these bills.

However, the money arrived in the bank in the usual way, from my husband's Teachers' Pensions. We just drew it out, apart from the dd money and kept it in the house.

I think the OP should be able to show the solicitor the money going through his books, surely that would suffice?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cyberrich wrote: »
    Anyone would think I was some sort of criminal after reading these replies. I am certainly not operating under the radar as one of you has put it. I've been a registered tax payer since the 1980s. If anything was amiss I would not have been offered a mortgage. after having been put through all the necessary checks with the bank.
    Where's the problem then? You will have accounts for your business and can submit your tax return for 2016/17 now if you haven't already done that. For the last couple of months you should have accounts ongoing.

This should reassure your solicitor of the origin of the cash under the mattress. If you use an accountant it may be worth getting them to draw up something to give to your solicitor.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    martindow wrote: »

This should reassure your solicitor of the origin of the cash under the mattress..
    OP did not say it was kept under the mattress. It may well have been kept openly on the kitchen window sill for all to see.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    cyberrich wrote: »
    Anyone would think I was some sort of criminal after reading these replies.

Which is exactly what the solicitor needs to prove.
    I am certainly not operating under the radar as one of you has put it.

Then it will be straightforward to provide your working management accounts to the solicitor.
    I've been a registered tax payer since the 1980s.

Which says nothing at all about the proportion of your turnover going through the books.
    If anything was amiss I would not have been offered a mortgage. after having been put through all the necessary checks with the bank.

Then you already have all the necessary paperwork available, right?
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    If customers paid you in cash, and all is above board, then you should have the invoices relating to each amount they paid to you.
    Just show the solicitor all the invoices that total the £3500 cash you received from them.
    I cannot understand why you didn't pay it into your business account in the first place because your accountant will need to see the transactions when doing your books.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    74583578.jpg
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Again, this is not personal. The solicitor needs to prove you are not money laundering. Every house buyer goes through the same process, just it is easier to see where some other people's money has come from (work pay into bank accounts usually).

Just submit your invoices, company accounts or back of napkins to the solicitor.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure