Reality Check...

Comments

• note3
    note3 Posts: 291 Forumite
    I'm really impressed about not buying extra treatments too at spa break...well done
  • I should lump all my posts together, but keep having a million thoughts at once right now!

Had a look through online banking, I have went over my food budget + spent too much on takeways this month. Even thought lunches out and takeaways came out of my personal spending this is still a waste of money!! I am not allowing my personal spending to be spent on takeaways, I would rather this spent on debt!

I made a list of my freezer, yet continued to buy food/eat out. Between now and 1st July I am budgeting £5 to spent on food IN TOTAL! This might sound ridiculous, it's not! I have meal planned for the rest of the month and the £5 is for a load of veg to make soup for lunches, a loaf of bread for the freezer (which I plan to get reduced at the end of the night at the supermarket) and for the cheapest pasta you can buy. Right now I do have fresh veg for about 7 days, plus I have frozen veg so it's not as if we will be eating processed foods, I have fruit right now but to be honest I don't eat that, we get free fruit in work and if Sophie wants fruit she can buy it, as half time I buy and waste fruit....

I will fill my tank up with petrol on pay day and then hide it away and keep it out of my purse until July when I will need petrol and food!
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • My day is getting worse.....

I was showing someone how to check their MOT date online....decided to check my own and all ok with it being due on 12th August...but my tax RAN OUT ON THE 1ST APRIL!!!!!!!! You would think I would learn with the home insurance disaster, turns out I only paid for 6 months and not 12 like I thought!! So it cost me £79.75 for 6 months plus £24.16 for the past 2 months a total of £103.91 money I don't have!! I used the home and car insurance fund as it had £100 on it, so at least it wasn't a credit card....I NEED TO BE MORE ORGANISED!!!!!

And yeah Note it was each :eek: I have always spent about £1200 on handbags but I use it every day for about 3 years so I do think it is worth it BUT not when I am in debt! I can buy bags in the future when I am in the black not the red!!

I am hoping the redundancy doesn't happen, both for my mum and dad and me! It has made me realise maybe I should be doing half and half with debt plus paying him back...with my June commission of £1000 I am going to hold this back in my account rather than paying it to Santander like planned just incase...xx
  • p.s coconut oil is going great! My skin has never felt so soft, and it just melts your make up off especially mascara and smells fab! I really recommend it, so long Emma Hardie you are no longer needed!! xx
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Last post....

I have never used Tesco clubcard points before and I have just converted £8.50 into £34 to be spent at Pizza Express, how good is that!! I don't even like Pizza Express that much (was years ago I went, so could be better!) but I will like it for that price!

I was going to put the £8.50 towards petrol but that offer was too good so picked that instead...that's a free dinner out!
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My go-to to spend Clubcard points on is always a meal out, Zizzi is the one the boys prefer so we use them there. Since becoming more MSE-minded however I don't spend much at Tosco but I do their Orchard programme and always check the yellow stickie bits when I'm in town and it does add up over time still.
    Just so you know that you can only use the vouchers on the food part of your bill - it can't be put against drinks (though some places are more tolerant than others).
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    That's horrible stressful news about this possibly happening to your dad. Very sobering. You are right about rearranging your repayment plan, but perhaps you could wait to shift into doing so until you know for sure and their income goes down? Your repayments then would be so helpful to them.
    Your daughter is just going to have to understand the family is in a far different situation now. Debt repayment is first and foremost. Apple is an awesome computer and all she needs. Wants are not on the radar for some time to come.

You are so focused and really honing in on your goals.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • note3
    note3 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Think what a big favour you're doing for your daughter long term if you start her on the money awareness path now. Wish someone had done that for me so I hadn't gotten in this mess.
    Eventually she'll get it about not buying crazy price presents...I hope!!

That's not good about tax!! Thank god you realised before they caught up and clamped your car.

Yep I always convert points into food too now. Pizza express or ask and then if you have tap water that's a free meal!!
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I really love you reality (in a friend MSE way!!) - you are always so honest and I love the way you throw in a comment about buying a £1600 bag for each of you but it's ok as it lasts 3 years!!!

I buy bags for about £30 and they also last me 3 years - if I had a £1600 bag it would be framed and hung on the wall!!!!

Such a shame your daughter has high expectations of you and your money - I wonder how much she thinks you earn?
    As another poster said hopefully you can guide her down the 'how to handle money' path without her getting into debt.

So sorry to hear about your dad and his possible redundancy - my dad was made redundant 2 years ago after 38 years working in a factory. He has only ever earned minimum wage so my parents have also lived week to week and it's heartbreaking (my mum was a SAHM and did some little work like caring for neighbours).
    He claimed JSA but as he has problems with reading and writing, doesn't drive and lives in a village the chances of him getting employment were slim and also his age at the time - 61!!!

Now if the rules on benefits had not changed he could have claimed Pension Credit and basically retired but instead he had to sign on every 2 weeks and my sister had to job search for him (as he can't use a computer) and it was so demoralising for him and he just sat in his bedroom watching TV day in day out.
    I can't imagine how it has affected his mental health but having worked out your life to then not work must be truly awful.

He didn't even get that much redundancy - about £12k.

Luckily earlier this year my brother gave my dad a job for 24hrs per week as a cleaner in the factory he manages - the difference in my dad is amazing and I am so thankful for my brother doing this. Hopefully my Dad can keep doing it until he can retire at 65.

((reality and parents))
  • Thanks for letting me know Joey, I had thought drinks wouldn't be included but wasn't sure....tap water it will be! I don't shop in Tesco either, but really do need to go out my way to make sure I get my petrol from there, but I have heard that Tesco club card is changing so maybe might not be able to do this in the future?!

My daughters head is tuned to the moon, doesn't have a clue! Wonder where she gets that from.....Her laptop is 2 years old and in perfect working order, so she will be fine with studying unlike her claims of this will help her! She is in Portugal right now so this has all been through Whatsapp my reply was "I am being frugal!" (this is my new line even though doesn't seem to happen half the time) she replied with those crying laughing faces...obviously doesn't know how serious I am until Christmas day comes :rotfl: She is actually good with money, her OWN money, has always been good with the balance of saving but still spending...just doesn't think twice about spending mine lol

Aw goodness EE the bag comment does sound ridiculous doesn't it :rotfl: and even worse so that I am sticking to and maintaing my thoughts on it! Such a shame about your dad, this government doesn't have a clue...helps all the wrong people!! Good on your brother getting him a job and that your Dad getting back to his old self. Also....I am reading your diary right now, but I am in 2010!! So addictive this site - I've just finished reading one for the past few weeks that was 115 pages I think, basically a novel!!

I am off work today, swapped with someone who works Saturdays as he really needed tomorrow off, turns out he has called in sick anyway, couldn't he have just done this tomorrow and then I wouldn't be in on Saturday!!! Oh well, keeps e out of trouble!

I watched a documentary last night 'Knives over Forks' - I now want to be Vegan, but...need to use up all the meat and fish in my freezer first :rotfl: Really was an eye opener, I don't actually think I could commit to it but I really do want to start having more plant based meals in my diet.

Anyway, best get on with my day, planned a day of cleaning and batch cooking some mince to make chilli and spag bol (the above documentary really hit home, clearly.....but I had defrosted it last night and can't afford any more shopping!!) Off to bleach and steam cleaner everywhere and clean the oven....I actually enjoy doing all of the above, strange I know!

Have a good day everyone, and thanks for all your comments xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills