US Shares Warning

2»

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    This could happen to any shares, UK or US.

Really? So if you just left your UK shares without selling them (but watched their price, etc) then the state would grab them?
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    I wonder if the OP is getting a bit confused with the term 'escheatment' ??
    A Google search brings up quite a few explanations of the term is one & its associated articles may help............
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/shares/10560431/Escheatment-what-it-means-and-how-it-affects-UK-shareholders.html
  • Caroline_a
    Not quite sure why you think I don't understand the term. I too had Googled extensively and found out about it. However - if you look back, you'll see that I'd had no warning or correspondence from either the holding agents or the state. This was my point! The shares as far as I was aware were sat with the holding agent, awaiting a time when I would sell them!

As an update, I have now applied to the state to have them returned to me, and have sent off all required documentation for my claim. There is no indication how long this may take, but in the meantime, the shares have gone up another dollar!
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    Really? So if you just left your UK shares without selling them (but watched their price, etc) then the state would grab them?

Depends on what happens to the company, you can still lose your shares.
  • Caroline_a
    Update time! I had an email today to say that my shares are being returned to me!! They haven't been sold, so are all still intact, and to make things even better they have gone up in value whilst this was going on! Happy days! It's happened a lot quicker than I thought as the articles in the Telegraph indicated that it would be many weeks!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    That's great news! Thanks for updating the thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure