Tesco Clubcard deals and RAC membership

I have searched this but most of the threads are very old...

I used Tesco Clubcard to pay my RAC last year and it worked out fine... but I now can't work out wether its worth it or not...

I got my renewal from RAC which states as I am now a Tesco Clubcard member I will save 40% if I renew directly with RAC... it will be £100.40 instead of £160 for Recovery ,Home and Onward travel... but if I use my Tesco Clubcard vouchers they want £94 in clubcard vouchers for the same package... I'm sure it was much less last year something like £54 in vouchers.

I have nearly £100 in vouchers so its going to use all the vouchers I have and I was going to book some days out for OH and myself for later in the year.. which I won't now be able to do if I use them for the RAC payment..

So am I missing something or isn't going to better to stump up the £100.40 and pay RAC direct and keep my vouchers for our days out?

Help me out someone!!... OH is keeping quiet, so when I do it wrong he can blame me...:rotfl:
#6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Comments

• vicki+1
    vicki+1 Posts: 737 Forumite
    personally i would pay for my rac and use the vouchers for days out. seems little point paying almost the same in clubcard vouchers as money. If you use them for days out, restraunts etc, most mean you save at least half (when you take into account that lots of days out and restraunts can be half price with vouchers if you weren't using clubcard vouchers)
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    vicki+1 wrote: »
    personally i would pay for my rac and use the vouchers for days out. seems little point paying almost the same in clubcard vouchers as money. If you use them for days out, restraunts etc, most mean you save at least half (when you take into account that lots of days out and restraunts can be half price with vouchers if you weren't using clubcard vouchers)

Thanks vicki thats what I thought , I just wanted someone to confirm I was going the right way.. aren't men useless , he just wanted it to be my mistake if it was wrong..;)

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'd ring other breakdown companies for a quote first as there are always introductory offers and I'm sure it would be cheaper than the RAC quote ...I think the package you have now with the RAC is only £42 using your Tesco vouchers, so I'd go elsewhere for 1 year and then back to the RAC next year.
  • have you tried quidco i got 1 years aa cover for £19 last year
  • tanith
    bullshot wrote: »
    I'd ring other breakdown companies for a quote first as there are always introductory offers and I'm sure it would be cheaper than the RAC quote ...I think the package you have now with the RAC is only £42 using your Tesco vouchers, so I'd go elsewhere for 1 year and then back to the RAC next year.

Not according to the Clubcard deals this morning it wasn't its as I quoted £94 I was very surprised as I said because I'm sure it was much less last year.. I prefer to stay with the RAC anyway but thanks for the suggestion...

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tanith wrote: »
    I have searched this but most of the threads are very old...

I used Tesco Clubcard to pay my RAC last year and it worked out fine... but I now can't work out wether its worth it or not...

I got my renewal from RAC which states as I am now a Tesco Clubcard member I will save 40% if I renew directly with RAC... it will be £100.40 instead of £160 for Recovery ,Home and Onward travel... but if I use my Tesco Clubcard vouchers they want £94 in clubcard vouchers for the same package... I'm sure it was much less last year something like £54 in vouchers.

I have nearly £100 in vouchers so its going to use all the vouchers I have and I was going to book some days out for OH and myself for later in the year.. which I won't now be able to do if I use them for the RAC payment..

So am I missing something or isn't going to better to stump up the £100.40 and pay RAC direct and keep my vouchers for our days out?

Help me out someone!!... OH is keeping quiet, so when I do it wrong he can blame me...:rotfl:

I looked at Tesco clubcards too today as my renewal letter quotes £162.00, it seems to be very high this year and the Tesco deal is expensive tooo.
    I'm going to look at Quidco for a deal.
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    tanith wrote: »
    Not according to the Clubcard deals this morning it wasn't its as I quoted £94 I was very surprised as I said because I'm sure it was much less last year.. I prefer to stay with the RAC anyway but thanks for the suggestion...
    Sorry if my info was wrong...doh!!! What do you get for £42 on the deals then? I was looking at this for myself as the breakdown we got with our new car expires later this year and I thought it was £42 with deals....
    http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=206&bci=4294967150|Motoring
  • tanith
    bullshot wrote: »
    Sorry if my info was wrong...doh!!! What do you get for £42 on the deals then? I was looking at this for myself as the breakdown we got with our new car expires later this year and I thought it was £42 with deals....
    http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=206&bci=4294967150|Motoring

Thats ok there are an awful lot of options available.. the one you chose has no 'HOME' cover and its single cover and I needed joint cover for my husband and myself.. so as long as you only want single cover without HOME feature without Europe cover then its fine..

• loopylilo
    loopylilo Posts: 45 Forumite
    I had a similar situation with my renewal but when I looked at the Tesco rewards on offer, I went with the RAC Joint home policy at just £41 in vouchers so, I've used my vouchers again. Hope that helps.
  • sinw
    sinw Posts: 7,771 Forumite
    I did a deal with points last year, this year i will use quidco and tcb - spend my points on something else, how about a holiday or something from goldsmiths xx
    SIMPLES!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport