DBS checks and overseas criminal record checks

Options
I've received a conditional offer for an admin position in a NHS hospital. I have to undergo a DBS check which has been submitted. However I came across something today that says anyone who has spent more than 6 months outside the UK in the last 5 years requires an overseas background check also. I'm from Ireland originally and have only lived in the UK for 3.5 years. At no point in the recruitment process has this been mentioned to me. I tried looking into it more but some sources state this applies to all employees and others only to staff directly involved in patient care. Can anyone shed some light on this? Will I need to undergo an Irish background check and if do can I apply for this myself or does it need to be requested by NHS? I also spent 6.5 months in Lanzarote between 2012 and 2013 - will I need to obtain a Spanish check also? All of this is clearly stated on my CV and declared on my DBS application and no one has said anything but I would hate to wait 4 weeks for my DBS to come back only to be told I needed an Irish check also. Any information is much appreciated.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, u do- if it applies to your role.

I can!!!8217;t tell from here, but many roles in the NHS are subject to standard and enhanced DBS checks.
  • pioneer22
    pioneer22 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HST wrote: »
    I've received a conditional offer for an admin position in a NHS hospital. I have to undergo a DBS check which has been submitted. However I came across something today that says anyone who has spent more than 6 months outside the UK in the last 5 years requires an overseas background check also. I'm from Ireland originally and have only lived in the UK for 3.5 years. At no point in the recruitment process has this been mentioned to me. I tried looking into it more but some sources state this applies to all employees and others only to staff directly involved in patient care. Can anyone shed some light on this? Will I need to undergo an Irish background check and if do can I apply for this myself or does it need to be requested by NHS? I also spent 6.5 months in Lanzarote between 2012 and 2013 - will I need to obtain a Spanish check also? All of this is clearly stated on my CV and declared on my DBS application and no one has said anything but I would hate to wait 4 weeks for my DBS to come back only to be told I needed an Irish check also. Any information is much appreciated.

Usually these checks are triggered by the address you put down, so be honest and fill in the form with the places you stayed at.

Being an EU country it should be straightforward no doubt the nhs use a company like experian etc to do the check anyway.

Its if your a doctor whose say lived in iraq or syria where it would cause real delays.
  • HST
    HST Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've put down my previous addresses. Will it be something not triggered until my DBS is returned? Will I have to wait a further four weeks for this? My previous job was a fixed term contract which has now ended so I can't really afford too many delays. !!!55357;!!!56862;
  • pioneer22
    Options
    HST wrote: »
    I've put down my previous addresses. Will it be something not triggered until my DBS is returned? Will I have to wait a further four weeks for this? My previous job was a fixed term contract which has now ended so I can't really afford too many delays. !!!55357;!!!56862;

its 2 separate checks

a Spanish one
    an English one

You would think they would run concurrently, have your references come back these usually take the time.
  • HST
    HST Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just an update in case anyone else comes across this in a similar situation - no other checks had to be done, just DBS which only took a week rather than 4 as I was told. :D Just waiting on OH now as had to provide some extra records due to pre-existing health issues which I wasn't told I needed until after the appointment. Hoping to get that sorted this week...
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would Experian do a dbs check. Experian are a credit reference agency
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors