IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Motorbike Accident (Compensation) claim valuation

So i had a motorbike accident last year and the guy accepted liability. I was on crutches for 2 weeks. My right knee all the skin came off and was bleeding for weeks. I was in bed for 2-3 weeks couldn't move because of my lower back. I went to phisyo for 7 weeks. I still have have problems with my lower back. The insurance paid me for my motorbike ( write off ) which i got £700 over what i paid for it.

But the question is. My solicitor at fletchers have contacted me with a valuation of £2800-3200 for the compensation claim which i will have to pay them 25 percent. So at the end of it i will only get around £2000. I wasnt working at the time. But I've had accident before in a car crash and i got offered this amount. I'm thinking motorbike accidents which are more serious as no seat belts and i came right off the bike, should be more in value? 10k+ above.
I've declined this valuation and said my reasons why, Being scarred for life and on going lower back problems.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    This is a private parking sub-forum, so you're not in the right place for the help you are seeking.

Perhaps try the 'Motoring' forum?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Solicitors involved in Personal Injury claims will calculate the amount of compensation due, based on a number of factors, including the severity of the injury, the length of treatment required, and whether a full recovery is likely.

For each type of injury, there is a range of compensation given in the Judicial College Guidelines (not available online, but can be ordered from Amazon for £19.99). For example, minor back injuries have a range of £750 - £10,815.

So you would probably find that most solicitors would come up with a similar figure to the one that yours have suggested. Insurance companies also have access to these tables, and won't agree a payout if it falls outside the range.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    This is a private parking sub-forum, so you're not in the right place for the help you are seeking.

Perhaps try the 'Motoring' forum?

He's been there with three other threads, the latest from last November:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5752567
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills