MSE News: Co-op stores to sell food past its 'best before' date for 10p

MSE_Luke
MSE_Luke Posts: 295 MSE Staff
First Anniversary
edited 4 December 2017 at 1:42PM in Food shopping & groceries
The East of England Co-op is to start selling food past its 'best before' date for 10p...
Read the full story:
'Co-op stores to sell food past its 'best before' date for 10p'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's a great idea hope it rolls out oop norf.
  • bring it down south please - fantastic idea. I never go by best before dates as the food is perfectly fine
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Probably cause a stampede................
  • bonus2010
    bonus2010 Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sounds a great idea to give all their customers an opportunity of buying discounted food instead of what is practiced by other supermarkets where they bypass their poorer regular customers to give it to foodbank businesses.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    bonus2010 wrote: »
    Sounds a great idea to give all their customers an opportunity of buying discounted food instead of what is practiced by other supermarkets where they bypass their poorer regular customers to give it to foodbank businesses.

You sure it goes to foodbanks and isn't just thrown away? The article says Co-op says it can't go to the foodbank once the 'best before' has been passed as they won't accept it.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well this would have been the cherry on the cake for my move back to Essex - but unfortunately the 2 nearest branches to me really will be a good walk away to the scrag end of town. I'd appreciate the exercise, just don't want to risk life and limb in the bargain-snagging process :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • bonus2010
    bonus2010 Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    You sure it goes to foodbanks and isn't just thrown away? The article says Co-op says it can't go to the foodbank once the 'best before' has been passed as they won't accept it.

I’m not aware of what the co-op’s policy is today with regards foodbanks but I did use to be a regular shopper with the co-op when they had a supermarket in my town before closing it down, then I found that they’d wait until the very last couple of hours before reducing items right down and often they’d put items down to 10p. So, I suppose you’d be right if they weren’t all bought they’d be thrown away, but making this policy could help those not about in the last couple of hours before shop closing. So, it might be that co-ops thinking on nearly out of date items differs from other supermarkets as the co-op is keener to have items on the shelf longer whereas other supermarkets are taking items off the shelves to give to and please foodbank businesses sooner.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    this is NOT the CooP group , its east anglia coop , which from memory is not part of the national coop group
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Last week the WRAP charity (Waste and Resources Action Programme) unveiled new food labelling guidance it estimates could save shoppers £1 billion a year – including using best before dates instead of use by dates except where necessary for safety.
    Isn't this exactly the opposite of what would save shoppers money? I thought the idea was to encourage people to eat perfectly safe food and not throw it away just because it's past its best.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We have a shop that sells out of date foods. Some foods are bad very out of date. Example, crisps. After 8 weeks, they aren't crisps, but sorts.

I hardly seen anyone in the shop after the opening weekend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport