LLoyds internet banking fraud detection

Options

Comments

• beefturnmail
    Options
    You can complain. They will listen to your complaint and then point out that your agreed to terms and conditions that state that payments can be blocked at any time and the bank accepts no liability for your loss. If you can identify bank error, then you have grounds. Additionally, if you are suspected of money laundering the fraud agent has a legal obligation to verify you and the legitimacy of the funds.

You sound like you could do with having your money under the bed.

You misunderstand - it's not the payment being blocked that I am complaining about - it's the fact that all my accounts were blocked as a result of one suspect transfer and they were not unblocked when I spoke to the fraud team over the phone and passed the extremely high level of security.
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2017 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Its called a redirect. Very common fraud MP. Happens daily. Fraudsters contact your network provider and have your service redirected to a new line or SIM card. It normally happens after a customer has given away identifying formation through phishing emails or smshing texts.
    Yes, I think the person I spoke to used that kind of language. I'm a little more prepared to believe it now, although it was a false positive.

Now I come to think of it I had added a mobile phone number and re-entered my landline number in my personal details a few days before so it was quite reasonable of them to check. I was wrong to doubt them.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The biometrics can detect by your typing style if it’s you enetering your password, if you break your arm and use your other hand it knows it’s still you.

How many online banking sign-ons require you to actually type in a password ? Mine asks me to select particular characters from drop down tabs.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another thread reinforcing one of the many reasons most people should have current accounts with at least two unrelated banks.
  • beefturnmail
    Options

At the end of the day, the account belongs to the bank. Internet banking is provision of the bank of their own standard. You have no ‘right’ to use it.

I don't think this is right - the bank account is the account holder's property (i.e. mine).
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    There is no such thing as a bank account it doesn't exist and therefore nobody 'owns it'

there is just a computer program at Lloyds accessing a gigantic amount of data - you the customer are allowed to manipulate a few megabytes of this data and EG make a payment which will change the value of your data EG your total balance

If Lloyds fell over tomorrow then the fscs would simply ask NatWest for example to open up another set of data and set that data to the value of the total amount that was showing at Lloyds

Nothing exists in the sense of the word of 'owning' an account all that exists is hardware software and a set of permissions
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2017 at 9:48PM
    Options
    What a load of nonsense some people spout on here!
    It’s not. The account is the property of the bank as are deposits to it. You are granted certain access to the account based on a supplier agreement.

So if I die, the bank account won't form part of my estate then? - since it is not my property?

And a bank account certainly 'exists' - I think the point trying to be made was that it's not a ringfenced bandle of cash in a vault somewhere, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, otherwise you could equally say that various other intangible things don't 'exist' either (e.g. Lloyds Bank, a mortgage, the number '3')
  • 18cc
    edited 27 November 2017 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Well I don't propose to prolong this thread by posting a lot more but one thing I can assure you is that your account is just part of a giant computer program and associated data and no more 'exists' thank the little girl in the computer in Stephen Goldin's 'Sweet Dreams Melissa'.

Your £5000 deposit at Lloyds has already been lent to someone who now also has £5000 (a loan) sitting in their account so which of the two £5000s is the 'real' one...

You have a set of permissions to operate on this database (account number, login details, a balance, transaction history etc) but nothing exists until and unless you withdraw it into cash or gold or whatever.

As for the number '3' - Google 'the philosophy of mathematics' or 'do numbers exist'
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Well I don't propose to prolong this thread by posting a lot more but one thing I can assure you is that your account is just part of a giant computer program and associated data and no more 'exists' thank the little girl in the computer in Arthur C Clarke's 'Sweet Dreams Melissa'.

Your £5000 deposit at Lloyds has already been lent to someone who now also has £5000 (a loan) sitting in their account so which of the two £5000s is the 'real' one...

You have a set of permissions to operate on this database (account number, login details, a balance, transaction history etc) but nothing exists until and unless you withdraw it into cash or gold or whatever.

As for the number '3' - Google 'the philosophy of mathematics' or 'do numbers exist'

See the first line of my post #23
  • 18cc
    Options
    Yes I agree with you some people do spout a lot of nonsense on here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts