Giblet's mortgage free journey

Comments

• mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Hello giblet, I've subscribed to your thread but haven't gone back and read it all yet, but I shall.
    I notice you have a cat avatar and I think I remember you saying on another thread you have cats. I'm a crazy cat lady! I have 2 cats (at the moment) and 2 cat tattoos as well :D
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Hi Giblet,

Nice to have a read through of your diary :)

Once I'm DF I will be moving over the the MFW forum, and continuing my Payment a Day but to the mortgage rather than credit cards - some people on the thread make payments to savings having become debt free, everyone is welcome :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5475033&page=45#topofpage
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • cat683
    cat683 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Hi giblet,
    I have just realised how to actually subscribe to a post, so done that :)

It took me about one year to get all the jobs to fit into my day. So I started with a part-time job in the morning 7am-12 then got another part-time job 12-2.30pm and then finally managed to get another one from 3pm-6.30pm. All in one little place, within a 5 mile radius. They weren't well paid jobs, but it adds up very quickly when you put in the hours. I was able to do some overtime on Saturdays and Sundays too, which was paid at time and a half.
    I thought that I would be better off getting a "better" job and try to go up the pay grades, which just takes way too long and it's still not even nearly what I used to get paid.
    But hey ho, I've still got a job so that's something.

I hope it works out much better for you, especially if you're trying to cut back for health reasons, which is totally understandable. It is hard work to do so many hours every week. Are you actually cutting back to 30 hours a week this time? :)
    Make the most of the money you have just now from all your jobs, but I think you're doing that already :)
  • mrsp1987
    How on earth do you have 4 jobs? Do you ever sleep? I have 2, and there was a very very short time when I had 3 but I couldn't imagine 4?!
    Didn't realise your thread was so new so there wasn't much for be to go back and catch up on but I am fully up-to-date now :D
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Giblet!

Lovely to see you over here. :D

You're making such amazing progress - I'm really pleased for you. Cutting back seems sensible as you only get one life and unless you love your jobs, you don't want to spend all of it working.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • Hi all,
    Thank you so much for your messages - I will reply properly when I can see straight, lol; sadly I have to try to sleep now as I left the house at 7am and have only just finished my tea (15hr work day today with jobs 1 and 2). I've cheekily made a £10 payment to the mortgage tho to soften the blow ;)
    Hugs to all, and sweet dreams
    Gib xx
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• Hi again,
    Sneaking on here before I get on with some work (technically on a/l but am so behind that I wouldn't settle on holiday if I don't do what I can!). Also haven't started packing yet, and have GP, vet and family 'sorting' to do, plus slimming class later. Hmm...maybe I shouldn't really be on here, lol.

MFD - thanks for your welcome and congrats; it means a lot and I always feel so encouraged on here. I'd forgotten how motivating it can be tbh.

Mrsp - yes I'm also a crazy cat lady :) have two gorgeous little babies, but one has a poorly ear (possibly due to the other one....) hence the vet visit later! Little monkeys they are ;) thank you for subscribing. It always surprises me when people want to read my incoherent mumblings but I'm very grateful!

Thanks for reading kirtsy - I agree; think a payment a day is very motivating, and lots of luck on your journey. Hope you'll soon be a MFW too!

Hey cat - subscribing is great as I love getting little notifications to check up on what people have been up to. It's just difficult to keep up, and then you miss shedloads and can't remember what you last read. I'm hoping to be a bit more organised this time on here :)
    Your jobs before sounded very busy, and I'm sorry - it must have been disheartening to come out with less; hopefully in the end it'll be better as you progress up the ranks!

cat and mrsp - In December, I'm going to 37.5 hours in my main job, then will have one other regular commitment (up to 5hrs a week including travel) separately, and a bit of teaching and marking through the year which is sessional. October / November will be very busy, but it should (technically) calm down after that. Must resist saying 'yes' to overtime, but I feel grateful to be in this position, and anticipate having more time to focus on 'me' and particularly getting fit and healthy / stress reduction.

Lovely to see you over here amy - how are you getting on? Well I hope. Haven't yet managed to catch up properly. Thank you for your kind words :) I am away from tomorrow for 2 weeks (longest holiday in 6 years) so definitely will be 'switching off' from work (as much as I ever can...)

wifey - thank you so much for subscribing. I hope I won't bore you too much! Don't tend to do much, but I do get very enthusiastic about money stuff (and only really have one friend in RL who is on the same page) so I'm so glad to be able to talk to you all about it..

Gib xx

• Ooh...before I go, my OP last night ended up being £12.71 (tilly tidy) and I'm planning on sending another one tonight, and possibly one in the morning before we set off on holiday. How I'm going to resist while I'm away I don't know.

My plan is that I'm going to tell DH that whenever I think I might buy something e.g. another coffee, I'll keep a running tally when I resist, and OP that amount when I get back. We're going to treat ourselves, but that doesn't mean we can't keep the OP's in mind for when we get back :) I'd imagine his response will be something like 'fine baby....whatever you want'. He's so supportive, and fully on board, but I know I must drive him mad by regularly dropping into conversation things like...

"....so I was on the MSE overpayment calculator again, and if we can just save an extra......" etc etc etc....

Poor DH :)

Right definitely going to do some work now. Have a lovely day all xx

• mrsp1987
    giblet1979 wrote: »
    Hi again,

Mrsp - yes I'm also a crazy cat lady :) have two gorgeous little babies, but one has a poorly ear (possibly due to the other one....) hence the vet visit later! Little monkeys they are ;) thank you for subscribing. It always surprises me when people want to read my incoherent mumblings but I'm very grateful!

Gib xx

It surprises me when people want to read mine too but so few people respond I sometimes wonder if anyone actually reads it or if I'm just really boring :rotfl:
    Save
  • Aww bless you mrsp. I will definitely be subscribing to your diary when I'm back (can't rely onot how my phone browser is showing the page)
    Not sure how much I'll be on here for the next 2 weeks but with free wi fi I will try and check in xx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport