spousal maintenance

I'm considering claiming spousal maintenance on amicable divorce. Broadly, partner takes home £4K/mth and I take home £1.8K after tax/NI/pension. We expect each of our living costs to be roughly the same after divorce. We have been married for 25 years. What sort of maintenance should I be looking at and for how long?

Comments

• KateBob
    KateBob Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You're posting multiple times under different names, at least have the decency to wait an hour or 2 :mad:
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    SM17 wrote: »
    I'm considering claiming spousal maintenance on amicable divorce. Broadly, partner takes home £4K/mth and I take home £1.8K after tax/NI/pension. We expect each of our living costs to be roughly the same after divorce. We have been married for 25 years. What sort of maintenance should I be looking at and for how long?

If I had to guess, about £0 for 0 years.

What is spousal maintenance? This is a regular payment made by a former husband, wife or civil partner to their ex-partner. It’s only paid where one partner can’t support themselves financially without it.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/clean-break-or-spousal-maintenance-after-divorce-or-dissolution

You should be able to support yourself financially on £1800 a month. :)

For a definitive answer, ask a divorce lawyer.
  • If you can't support yourself on £1800 a month something is wrong...

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think you're barking up the Tree of Great Hope.

£1800/month is a lot of money, plenty to live on. Yes, his £4k/month is more, but that's his money and you've said nothing in your post that indicates you're "owed" any of that.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If the split is very amicable and you have joint savings, he might agree to let you have more than 50% but there's no justification for wanting a share of his salary after you divorce.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think you're barking up the Tree of Great Hope.

£1800/month is a lot of money, plenty to live on. Yes, his £4k/month is more, but that's his money and you've said nothing in your post that indicates you're "owed" any of that.

Maybe OP thinks they've found the Magic Money Tree!:rotfl:
  • maman wrote: »
    Maybe OP thinks they've found the Magic Money Tree!:rotfl:

There's a number of politicians, of all political colours, would be interested to know where it is!
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You and your ex can come up with pretty much any agreement, but as others have said based on what you have said there are no grounds to force them to pay anything. I paid my ex for a while because I earnt a lot and they didn't, I was happy to.

You may however be entitled to part of his pension (and him yours). You've also not mentioned what else is in the pot (savings/bills etc).

You could for instance agree a greater share in any assets in return for giving up claim to pension.

Both of you list all assets and liabilities, including pensions and then agree the split - far better to do this between you than involve courts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure