PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Mrs LW as usual I agree with you, it's obvious plenty of so-designated influential people are spending their spare millions on bunkers, remote farms, helicopters etc. That will leave the rest of us coping as best we can amid the S left behind when they withdraw. Being aware, thinking ahead, learning skills, and not being upset by nastiness will be part of coping.
  • It is and always has been the way of the world Shropshirelass, the rich have and the rest of us have not but even if those who can afford to do it dig themselves into their purpose built hideaways no one can possibly store enough of anything to last for a lifetime and sooner or later they will have to come out and back into the mess that's left behind after whatever event causes it, then they'll be considerably worse off than anyone who has managed to get through the aftermath because it will all be alien to them and they won't actually KNOW what prevails outside their cocoon, I wouldn't give much for their chances would you?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I'm amused about the super rich buying refuges etc. Perhaps they are about to suddenly master the arts of domesticity and defence, of farming and livestock rearing, of building maintenance and engineering, of sailing the superyacht and navigation?

If you have shedloads of money in a functioning economy, you have possibly the greatest force magnifier you can have. The key words are functioning economy because, if there is no such thing, how will the wealthy person command the services of the technically-skilled, the practically-minded or the physically imposing? Who will look after a billionnaire post SHTF? What would be their motivation?

I can see a superyacht's crew jettisoning the rich old man overboard and sailing off with the party girls, the bodyguards realising they haven't been paid and will never be paid, and putting a bullet through their captain of industry, the entitled ending up having to bring something genuinely useful to the party or being regarded as so much ballast (or even as long pork) ;)

A pal of mine working for a FTSE 100 company has droll tales of the ineptitude of members of the board, seemingly incapable of doing the most basic tasks without minions waiting on them hand-and-foot. While the stock market rides high, they are persons of importance, but all things end.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A friend's daughter was in a horrible car accident and her life was saved because someone passing by had a fire extinguisher in his car, passed it to her as smoke poured out of her car to spray all around while they were trying to pry open her door to get her out. They had just managed to free her and get some distance from the car when it burst into flames.

There had been discussion here in the past as to the validity of keeping an extinguisher in our cars, so here is a great example of why it's important to be prepared. The responding emergency crew felt the car would have caught fire sooner without the foam and it would have meant her life. As it is, she has internal injuries and multiple broken bones...but she will survive. Hallelujah!

Waves from New Mexico!!:hello::hello::hello::hello:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mila!!!!!!! How lovely to "see" you. We wondered if you and your family were okay. So sorry to hear about your friend's daughter, but glad it wasn't even worse in the end.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome back Mila. We've missed you.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for letting us know, mila - concrete examples help all of us.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    Are you doing ok jk0? Been thinking of you and the doorbell x
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Are you doing ok jk0? Been thinking of you and the doorbell x

Thanks Ivyleaf. Yeah, no nocturnal disturbances this week, other than the heat. That seems to wake me every couple of hours anyway. :)
  • ivyleaf
    jk0 wrote: »
    Thanks Ivyleaf. Yeah, no nocturnal disturbances this week, other than the heat. That seems to wake me every couple of hours anyway. :)

oh, that's good news :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport