Commitment phobes

Comments

• MXW
    MXW Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Primrose wrote: »
    It does sound as if he wanted to have his cake and eat it up to a certain point, at which stage something happened, even possibly something quite trivial in many peoples' eyes which bought it home to him that if he moved your relationship any further forward something radical in his well ordered single life would have to change.

And rather than have the courage to discuss this honestly and openly he took the coward!s way out because he doesn't have the interpersonal skills to handle difficult communications in a relationship. So he cut off and shut down.

I suppose the first time ought to have been a warning but you were not to know. The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it and being told to move on is all very well but not so easy to do until you're really able to get your head round the reason why. Mysteries are like drying scabs waiting to be scratched again.

Perhaps you just have to try and understand that when he was comparing his single life compared with with his life with you in it, if he had to give them both a score out of ten in terms of which was the one he could best cope with, his single life gave him "Enough". It wasn't perfect and it was lonely at time perhaps but it was the one he could best cope with knowing his inadequcies at being able to adapt his behaviour to co-existing with another person.

If I remember rightly he has already had one failed marriage and that had probably left him permanently scarred emotionally. He has not had sufficient lengthy relationships since then to practice learning any new coping and adapting behaviours and when your relationship starting to get to a point where things were getting a little more serious all his old doubts probably started returning.

He may still be missing your company despite the break up but I suspect he will not risk exposing his inability to cope with the commitment of another serious relationship again. He will dip in and out again perhaps, temporarily enthuse and give false security to somebody else but will be unable to commit because the demands are just to scary in case things go wrong. So , no real answers for you unfortunately apart from bad luck in ending up with somebody who just couldn't,t cope with the demands that a serious relationship makes on individuals.

Your absolutely right in what you have said. Ironically though, he was the one that wanted to book the weekend away (which is now cancelled), and wanted us to go abroad next year.

I never mentioned the future, or put any kind of pressure on him. Think it was all just in his head!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    MXW wrote: »

I never mentioned the future, or put any kind of pressure on him. Think it was all just in his head!

That's probably true too. The core issue is that we all have things going around in our heads when we start a new relationship. Most people do the sensible thing and talk their doubts or issues through with the other person involved and find a way of dealing with them. Compromises are often possible to work out.

He couldn't even get theough that that Stage 1 of the process and if truth be known he probably uses that avoidance tactic in other areas of his life too, only dealing with the things he want to and avoiding the difficult stuff. Sooner or later though he will come across other issues that he simoly HAS to face up to and deal with, and because he has so little experience and previous skill in coping with them he will really struggle.

Nine of us like dealing with this hard stuff but when we look back we realise we have learnt something from it along the way which stands us in a better place for the future.

I hope you are gradually healing. Be patient with yourself. It does take time.
  • MXW
    That's probably true too. The core issue is that we all have things going around in our heads when we start a new relationship. Most people do the sensible thing and talk their doubts or issues through with the other person involved and find a way of dealing with them. Compromises are often possible to work out.

He couldn't even get theough that that Stage 1 of the process and if truth be known he probably uses that avoidance tactic in other areas of his life too, only dealing with the things he want to and avoiding the difficult stuff. Sooner or later though he will come across other issues that he simoly HAS to face up to and deal with, and because he has so little experience and previous skill in coping with them he will really struggle.

Nine of us like dealing with this hard stuff but when we look back we realise we have learnt something from it along the way which stands us in a better place for the future.

I hope you are gradually healing. Be patient with yourself. It does take time.

Thank you for your wise words.
    X
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Are you in a location or situation where your paths are likely to cross again?
    Obviously if you're not it will be better but if this is likely to be a possibility you may want to give a few moments thought on how you will deal with it.

It will undoubtedly be either uncomfortable or embarrassing for a few moments but if you've pre-rehearsed this in your mind to give you the best advantage to make you feel in charge of the situation, it would be good for you .
  • MXW
    Are you in a location or situation where your paths are likely to cross again?
    Obviously if you're not it will be better but if this is likely to be a possibility you may want to give a few moments thought on how you will deal with it.

It will undoubtedly be either uncomfortable or embarrassing for a few moments but if you've pre-rehearsed this in your mind to give you the best advantage to make you feel in charge of the situation, it would be good for you .

It's highly unlikely that i will bump into him. We don't live too far apart, but he doesn't really do anything but go to work and go to his local pub.

When he was seeing me, we did things that he wouldn't normally do. He will just settle back onto his old routine.
  • Will you come back in time and tell us how you got on.

I expect you will realise how this looks from the outside.
    My ex boyfriend wanted to book lots of weekends away. It took me a long time to see that with hindsight (in our situation) this was about him wanting to go away but having few people who could put up with him for that! Rather than him wanting to spend quality time with me.

This thread holds similarities to that time in my life. He also had emotional problems and could never have committed. A part of me wondered if they were same person!
    But I am so much better off. Particularly that each year that passes I can spend my birthday with people who love me and who would never hurt me.
    Birthdays are important and you deserve to enjoy yours, not he with somebody who makes you question everything.

Please come back and let us know how you get on. I hope you meet somebody who treats you as you deserve and makes you happy. Not like this.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:37PM
    To me it sounds as if he's gotten used to living his life the way he wants, you've come along, and he can't handle the fact the World doesn't revolve around him.

He's probably mentioned the 'future' because he felt that was what you wanted to hear rather than being truthful with you.

It's easy for me to say this but you're much better off without him than you would be with him; I've dated people in the past and ran for the hills once things started to get serious and I'm being honest, they've had a lucky escape in the long run!

I struggle with commitment for two personal reasons (one is my parent's divorce and the subsequent messy break up and the other I'd rather not disclose here).

You deserve better and in hindsight it never worked out with Mr X as something much better is coming along when you least expect it.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • MXW
    20aday wrote: »
    To me it sounds as if he's gotten used to living his life the way he wants, you've come along, and he can't handle the fact the World doesn't revolve around him.

He's probably mentioned the 'future' because he felt that was what you wanted to hear rather than being truthful with you.

It's easy for me to say this but you're much better off without him than you would be with him; I've dated people in the past and ran for the hills once things started to get serious and I'm being honest, they've had a lucky escape in the long run!

I struggle with commitment for two personal reasons (one is my parent's divorce and the subsequent messy break up and the other I'd rather not disclose here).

You deserve better and in hindsight it never worked out with Mr X as something much better is coming along when you least expect it.
    I think that he struggles with commitment because of his divorce. I think he would like commitment, but he's scared of it.

In terms of talking about the future.....I never did, because I was mindful of what had happened in the past. Any talk of the future was down to him.

I do think that you are right though, he's lived on his own for a long time, and to a certain degree has become selfish. I have also been single for a long time, but I have children, so I am used to putting other people first on a daily basis.
  • MXW wrote: »
    I think that he struggles with commitment because of his divorce. I think he would like commitment, but he's scared of it.

In terms of talking about the future.....I never did, because I was mindful of what had happened in the past. Any talk of the future was down to him.

I do think that you are right though, he's lived on his own for a long time, and to a certain degree has become selfish. I have also been single for a long time, but I have children, so I am used to putting other people first on a daily basis.

Sorry if this doesn't cheer you up but congrats on your lucky escape hon x
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    MXW wrote: »

I can understand why he'd be wary given he's divorced... but similarly he also needs to realise that sometimes you have to conquer your fears and whilst life doesn't always work out as you'd planned not everything is going to end up in heartache and tears.

In terms of me I've been single for the last five years and have gotten to doing pretty much what I want, when I want. I've even worked a lot to try and avoid meeting people.

Because of the other thing that happened to me it takes a lot for me to really trust people and someone came into my life within the last 12 months that's made me re-evaluate the situation.

Whilst I've come to the conclusion nothing is ever going to come of it (which saddens me as I'm down in the dumps when they completely blank me but I light up inside whenever they smile at me/acknowledge me!) it's made me realise just because one person has caused me 'permanent' damage not everyone is like that person.

It sounds to me as if you've got to give and you've had a lucky escape; I appreciate you have children but you also have to put yourself first too OP.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure