The Scariest Thing I Have Ever Done....

Comments

• McTaggus
    McTaggus Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So, hubby and I went for a long walk yesterday to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air with the dogs. As always should be the case when you go for long walks in the countryside, there was a pub at the halfway point and a roast dinner waiting to be cooked when we got home.

It while at said pub, that our conversation turned to money, work, and the mortgage - and how much we both wished our working lives didn't have to be dictated to by our need to earn substantial sums of money. I had actually been reading Mr Money Moustache's blog (from the start) on Friday while avoiding having to start writing a tedious presentation, and had found it extremely inspiring. So, over a pint in the sunshine, I said "What if we didn't have to do this? What if we completely commit to changing our way of living, and make our primary goal to try to get the damned mortgage paid off in the next ten years?" - I talked some more about how, about the money we spent that really we didn't have to, and that if we just made some changes then we could pay even more from the mortgage and maybe hit that goal. He looked at me a little sideways at first, thinking it was a pipe dream, and then got what can only be described as a look of absolute realisation that it could be possible. At that moment, he completely committed to what we decided wouldn't be frugal living - but a commitment to free living, with a choice over how we live.

10 years is going to be really ambitious, I know. The reality is that means a monthly OP of 3000 pounds (compared to my currently comparably measly 500 pounds), but we have already started working out how we can get there. Our official start date for working towards this is going to be January 2017, as we have some expenses coming up the next couple of months, but we're going to do our best to do it.

We're going to find fun challenges and ways to stretch and measure what we're NOT spending - gamefication of not spending, if you like - and other ways to motivate each other to stay on track and on goal. I'm so glad Mr McTaggus is so completely on board - he was on the making OP's, but to have him onboard on a journey to our mutual freedom from this never-ending stress and rat race cycle is even more important. It steps it up a gear, and gives us something to truly focus on achieving together.

No other financial updates today, however, but looking forward to updating more beyond our current OP's as we start our journey proper!
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wow, that sounds like a conversation worth having. Well done, and loads of good luck for the journey ahead. It will be really hard I expect but the more you can commit then the easier it will be - and of course whats the worst that will happen if you miss this target ? You will still be miles ahead of where you would have been. Need to think about all sorts of ways to come up with that £3000 a month. Have you looked into having a lodger during the week ? There is a website somewhere that links people up for Monday to Thursdays (cos altho you have lots of bedrooms, I know you have the dsc at the weekends sometimes). Other than cutting out everything that we take for granted as "essentials" these days but really aren't, TV, out for meals, takeaways, holidays etc etc I cant think of much to offer other than my whole-hearted support.

well done again

daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • McTaggus
    Thank you Daisy for the encouragement, your ideas, and your support! It's greatly appreciated!!! :):) It's definitely going to be tough, but we're going to do it - and are already planning a first venture into the world of boot fairs to sell some of the stuff we have accrued during the last few years that needs a new home!
  • McTaggus
    So, as a pre-emptive strike to prepare me for the 2017 plan of OP's, I have paid off my (very low interest) loan balance that was outstanding (only had a couple of months to run) but which now gives me an extra 895 per month that I couldn't previously enjoy. Oct, Nov and Dec pay checks will therefore use that total amount to top the savings back up to the level they were at previously, and sets me up for a 1,395 starting OP (all going to plan) for Jan 2017.

That's halfway to my goal, which means I still have another 1,605 to find.... I think, if I really put my mind to it, I should be able to save another (minimum) 500 a month on my current expenditure, which should get me to 1,895 OP's a month, which would mean a 2030 mortgage repayment date rather than 2039 (based on my current OP's) or a mortgage repayment date of 2048 without any OP's...

Better, but still not on the 10 year goal... more work to do, but getting there.... if my wonderful husband is able to commit some too (which he's hoping to be able to when the kids school trips are paid off) then we may get closer to the goal....! In the meantime, I''m reviewing what else we can potentially strip out to help!

That's the update from McTaggus towers from now! Will keep you all posted on any next developments....
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    This is great to hear. MMM completely changed the way I see life and money. As MMM says, the trick is to delink happiness and spending money so you don't see the new lifestyle as a sacrifice.

If you're interested in a UK slant on the kind of things MMM talks about, check out the https://theescapeartist.me/

Good luck with your journey, having your other half fully on board is half the battle won!
    McTaggus wrote: »
    So, hubby and I went for a long walk yesterday to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air with the dogs. As always should be the case when you go for long walks in the countryside, there was a pub at the halfway point and a roast dinner waiting to be cooked when we got home.

It while at said pub, that our conversation turned to money, work, and the mortgage - and how much we both wished our working lives didn't have to be dictated to by our need to earn substantial sums of money. I had actually been reading Mr Money Moustache's blog (from the start) on Friday while avoiding having to start writing a tedious presentation, and had found it extremely inspiring. So, over a pint in the sunshine, I said "What if we didn't have to do this? What if we completely commit to changing our way of living, and make our primary goal to try to get the damned mortgage paid off in the next ten years?" - I talked some more about how, about the money we spent that really we didn't have to, and that if we just made some changes then we could pay even more from the mortgage and maybe hit that goal. He looked at me a little sideways at first, thinking it was a pipe dream, and then got what can only be described as a look of absolute realisation that it could be possible. At that moment, he completely committed to what we decided wouldn't be frugal living - but a commitment to free living, with a choice over how we live.

10 years is going to be really ambitious, I know. The reality is that means a monthly OP of 3000 pounds (compared to my currently comparably measly 500 pounds), but we have already started working out how we can get there. Our official start date for working towards this is going to be January 2017, as we have some expenses coming up the next couple of months, but we're going to do our best to do it.

We're going to find fun challenges and ways to stretch and measure what we're NOT spending - gamefication of not spending, if you like - and other ways to motivate each other to stay on track and on goal. I'm so glad Mr McTaggus is so completely on board - he was on the making OP's, but to have him onboard on a journey to our mutual freedom from this never-ending stress and rat race cycle is even more important. It steps it up a gear, and gives us something to truly focus on achieving together.

No other financial updates today, however, but looking forward to updating more beyond our current OP's as we start our journey proper!
  • McTaggus
    Oooh! More reading! I love it - thank you!!!!! I'm ALMOST caught up to date with MMM (have been reading the blog from the beginning) and it's already making me think so differently about EVERYTHING. I have even been thinking about potentially selling my car...... I own it outright, with no finance, but I hardly ever drive it and it sits on the driveway 6 days out of 7, is an expensive one to insure, tax and run... but, I love it.... so un-MMM thinking, I know, I need a slap....!
  • McTaggus
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:43PM
    So, hubby had his first "moustachian moment" since we made our agreement to start our journey next year. I think both of our mindsets have indelibly changed and the way that we're thinking about money has already dramatically shifted - which is great! It's amazing the transformation that seems to have happened to both of us pretty much overnight - and which truly made us realise how much of our money we have been wasting....

The event? Meeting an old friend for dinner at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, who was on a flying visit to London from Singapore, and which had been arranged for a couple of months. Now, previously, we wouldn't have batted too much of an eyelid and just thought "Hey, it's a treat! Don't worry about it! We earned it!", but this time (after settling the bill and after said friend had departed) we both just kept staring at how much we had just paid for a f***ing dinner - and not an even remotely mind-blowing one at that. Total rip-off, and one we keep thinking about (repeatedly, since it happened) and kicking ourselves at having fallen into the "oh, let's have a bit of luxury over-priced consumerism!" trap a few months ago and didn't have the guts to back out of....

My husband, bless him, is still in shock that we used to happily pay that much money for dinner - not on a regular basis I have to add - without thinking about it too much. He's also in shock that for a number of our friends, that's the "norm" for a night out. I'll be honest, it never became the "norm" for us, but now it will become the "never, ever again are we eating anywhere so expensive, EVER".

We had also pre-booked a trip to Stockholm last weekend, using Avios so the flights were free, and spent the weekend in tiny restaurants under the joint challenge of eating out within a strict budget - which we managed! Wooohooo! Total spend for a weekend in Stockholm - 400 pounds all in, including flights, hotels, taxis and food. It's also our last trip anywhere this year, and our final indulgence of 2016 before we shift into hard-core MMM-ing to get the mortgage paid off.

Trip aside, we were both also really pleased that our experiments at being MMM over the last two weeks are starting to pay off - we both spent a grand total of 72 pounds over the last 2 weeks (excluding the Swedish excursion and nauseating Dorchester bill, which would not be normal expenditure and will cease to happen in future), which included half a tank of petrol for my car :) I reckon we can do this!
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Hi McTaggus,isnt it strange how the penny suddenly drops ,i too ,had a similar thing happen that made me realise how foolish i had been .I am just grateful that i didnt leave it so late that i could do nothing at all to change anything.I am thoroughly enjoying reading your diary ,you are doing just brilliant and i am looking forward to watching you squash that mortgage in the new year.
  • McTaggus
    Thanks Try Harder! :) And thanks for dropping by with your kind words of encouragement! Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one with past foolishness to look back guiltily on after the penny drops!!!! ;)
  • Lrimas
    Lrimas Posts: 196 Forumite
    Woohoo! What a talk with your OH. And what a turnaround! I'm a bit jealous as mine still hasn't seen the light. (He thinks that retiring early is an amazing idea and I think he thinks the £300 he puts away each month will get him there dispite multiple attempts from me to bring reality back :))

You probably don't want to hear this but at some stage (when your mortgage is on a lower rate) you will have to start investing instead of OPing. You have your head on straight so should be fine but it is a good idea to start doing research now.

You are on a roll. Keep it up.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport