COSTCO your best buys

Comments

• Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there

Another Costco fan here - have been a member for 9 years and have never regretted the membership fee.

Persil 100 wash powders are going on offer tomorrow - £10.56 each inc VAT.

I buy meat, tea bags, bakery products, burgers, wine and other offer stuff when we go.

We also do the yearly trip for toilet rolls when they are on offer and we think the cafe is brilliant value too.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • forgot dh also buys his glasses there. he has high index glass lens and saves about a third of the price.
    LLL
  • Well whenever we go we seem to spend a fortune on stuff we don't really need. :confused:

To add to the list
    The photos, if you order online before you set off start from about 3p each
    The free samples as you go round food, wine, cheese, fruit etc.
    Childrens books (loads of educational books great choice and good value)
    Someones already mentioned birthday cakes but HUGE personalised cakes for less than a tenner although they do need a few days notice.

We don't get the full benefit of Costco membership because our house is too small to store too much.:rolleyes: Will have to try the ice cream sounds good.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
  • Bella_b
    Bella_b Posts: 859 Forumite
    They do big packs of tin tomatoes that work out cheap for the big pack! and you dont have to always pop back to the supermarket to get more and they seemed to have gone up recently! :O Like the cheeses.. and butter in a big round block is good. I agree with a previous poster, the skippy peanut butter is great! It's american and Costco's the only place you can get it! I want to go there soon to try on some of their glasses frame.. and oh yeh I agree about the contact lens liquid being cheap.. a great buy! 2 big bottles in 1 pack.. started one bottle in new year.. still got loads left!

My mum's friend got loads of stuff for her daughters wedding.. catered entirely from Costco lol! She went there in a couple of trips.. and one trip was nearly £200 and the people behind in the queque at the checkout gasped! It was funny. I like to go there now and again.. but it's not cheap for all things.. some things are just too big and you can get them cheaper in lidi etc.. for olive oil etc. One thing I wouldnt reccomend is the chorizo.. it's uncooked and not like the original cooked stuff! Doesnt give the same flavour to soups etc.. bulk buy on chick peas well.. we like to make chorizo and chick pea soup sometimes! I wouldn't rate the books.. they seem to be about the same price as the high street or more :O.. cheaper online! I agree about the icecream.. oh and the fresh fruit and veg seems quite good.. and the pizzas are big!.. but they seem to only do them in 2 flavours...not so good. I like eating the samples going round etc.. we had like what seemed like a 3 course dinner once.. starter, main and pud.. just out of samples! :p also once we went and it was a mexican night haha! That was fun.. they played mexican music and we ate mexican food! :)
  • Brita maxtra filters 9 in a box normal price £22.30 (this includes vat) will have 10% off at costco from the 10th march (max purchase 10 boxes)

I always buy these from costco as I haven't found them cheaper anywhere else. I think I'll stock up with a few boxes while the offer is on.
  • I have been a member of Costco since they came into this country.

I agree - meat/chicken is great and I always get their boxes of cards and packs of wrapping paper.

But I always make my money back on the tyres. They only do Michellin, which is my choice anyway and they are easily as cheap as the cheapest online I can find, but I can just go in and get them done then and there. And do some shopping whilst I'm at if :)

I need to go again soon - need loo rolls, kitchen rolls, bin liners, meat .... and there are always "different" things you can see whch are great for pressies. Once got my mum a fantastic orchid for mother's day. It cost about £20 and was the most amazing plant.
  • Anyone know if they still sell UGG Boots. I saw them when I last visited before Christmas, now my daughter has decided she wants a pair.
  • Didn't see any UGG boots last week. The Birkenstock sandals are back so I think they've moved on to summer.
  • Couldn't resist joining in on this.

I've been a member of Costco (Thurrock) since it opened and wouldn't be without it.

Must buys for me are like many people on this thread Toilet Rolls, Kitchen Towel and meats.

Their Lamb chops are the best and although not cheap they are brilliant value for the price when you compare the quality. They use Aberdeen Angus beef in their Burgers and Mince.

Pork joints are cheap too - Under £7 for a top quality joint.

Fish and cheeses are brilliant value though you have to be prepared to buy large pieces of cheese.

Coffee beans. 1 Kg bags for under a fiver.
    Diet Coke £5.50 for a 24 pack.

It's difficult to compare Costco with other warehouses as they do only stock branded stuff (quality brands at that).

Electricals can be bought cheaper but you get fantastic warranties through Costco and they do not tend to quibble (I even took an iron back a year t the day I bough it without a receipt and got a full refund).

In short you can easily save the £29 membership fee but you need space to keep everything :D .
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ethansmum wrote: »
    Crocs!! The kids ones were £13 ish and the adults £21 ish. I love Costco, the quality is fantastic even though the prices aren't rock bottom its worth it.

Couldn't believe this! Kids sizes go up to small adults so DD and I have had a new pair of Crocs for £13.99 each (no VAT). I paid £17 last year in Manchester Airport, so I am very happy.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport