Recessed gas meter box

Comments

• southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Mr_da wrote: »
    how do you hold the box back in place when refitting new one into recess thanks

Its just cemented in
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I wonder who would say this when installing a socket ....

"I am going to use a set of copper wires encased in a plastic insulator jacket, the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor will be 2.5mm cross section and the wire that defines electrical potential will be 1.5mm cross section."

A normal guy would say "I'll use the 2.5 T&E" which would probably not be technically correct. But most people would get it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Risteard wrote: »
    - it's about not being competent to give advice about a conductor which is there for safety reasons.
    As you haven't been able to give any advice to the original poster, can we assume you too are not competent to give advice?
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    As you haven't been able to give any advice to the original poster, can we assume you too are not competent to give advice?
    No you can't. I am completely competent. I don't however feel the need to tell the original poster anything - he clearly should have an Electrician do electrical work, and there is nothing further to add to that.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Risteard wrote: »
    No you can't. I am completely competent. I don't however feel the need to tell the original poster anything - he clearly should have an Electrician do electrical work, and there is nothing further to add to that.
    I really don't know why you joined this forum.

It clearly wasn't to help anyone.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Whatever the wrongs and rights of the earth bonding, the insurance of the driver of the car that drove into the box should be paying for all this.

It would be helpful if posters directed their comments to answering the question posed by OP, rather than bickering.

New users can find it offputting when they pose a question and a lot of the responses are just regulars arguing amongst themselves.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks silvercar it's a long story but have found who did it and they are paying, just that I have been left to organise it all. It's just short of £500 to have the utilities disconnect the gas and replace the bent pipe, I've got to organise the electrician and someone to install the box and have got to get it right as the gas will be reconnected the same day and if I don't get it right it's £500 down the pan.
    Just need to know who I need here that day, and need to make sure I can get them in place before I book the disconnect and reconnect. Seem to be going round in circles.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Is the earth bonding already at you meter (within 600mm)
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes Alex , it's just a case of taking the meter out replacing the pipe coming from the ground and putting a new recessed box in then the utilities company putting in the meter again and reconnecting the supply
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,688
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wonder who would say this when installing a socket ....

"I am going to use a set of copper wires encased in a plastic insulator jacket, the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor will be 2.5mm cross section and the wire that defines electrical potential will be 1.5mm cross section."

A normal guy would say "I'll use the 2.5 T&E" which would probably not be technically correct. But most people would get it.
    I know of one poster on here who would ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure