Karndean/Amtico - anyone got it?

Comments

• Zax
    Zax Posts: 3 Newbie
    Knight tile is the cheapest you can buy,you get what you pay for.

To be honest, £1000 for a 6m x 4m area is not what I would call cheap. We have 6mm ply on the floor and also used the Dim Glow Protector. I have emailed Karndean and made a complaint. My mother wanted a durable, hard wearing floor, and for £1000, she didn't get what she paid for... : )

Zax
  • Strangled
    Strangled Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post
    Zax wrote: »
    To be honest, £1000 for a 6m x 4m area is not what I would call cheap. We have 6mm ply on the floor and also used the Dim Glow Protector. I have emailed Karndean and made a complaint. My mother wanted a durable, hard wearing floor, and for £1000, she didn't get what she paid for... : )

Zax

So thats 24 sq mts, works out approx £42 sq mt. Take into account approx £15 sq mtr fitting charge, plus the cost of the ply , a £1000 is not too bad.
    For example, trade price for me for my ground floor was nearly £3k, plus plywood etc......and of course, without my labour charge.
  • Zax
    Zax Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hello again,
    The £1000 was not ply and fitting inclusive, as we did that ourselves (we are both joiners to trade and laying the tiles is quite easy). It was £1000 for the tiles, adhesive and the Dim Glow. But even at £42 sq mt for this rubbish is waaaaay too expensive. Cheap lino would last longer than this...

Zax

P.S. I just read what susieb 1967 had to say about the Knight Tile - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=331773&highlight=karndean+knight+tile

Wish I'd read that before we bought it :sad:
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    I was looking at Amtico flooring the other day. Had seen a couple of wood effect type that I liked in their brochure. I wasn't overly impressed at the real thing (on display in John Lewis). I know prob not the cheapest place to buy from but of the 2 choices one was about £70 something, the other £140 something & the guy who I was talking to said that the fitting costs are high (shortage of fitters) & can double the cost per metre. :eek: I have seen Kardean in a few locations, I don't like it myself, but the friends who have it seem reasonably happy.
    If you want ceramic tiles then have them. There's no reason why it should be a problem if they're fitted properly. If you're at all worried about any settling why not live with the wooden floors for a while then decide?
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    I have 2 bathrooms and a shower come cloakroom all with Amtico tiles they worked out about £74 sq mtr fitted seems alot but 2 of the rooms are upstairs and ceramic was out of the question and these tiles are not cold to walk on and they look a million $ and really really tough and hard wearing.

gary
  • there are quite important technical differences between amtico and karndean!

ive had fitting/retail experience of both for over 12 years and have attended countless professional coursed ran by both!

the main differences are the wear layer (the top part of the tile) and the actual composition of the prducts.

amtico uses what is called virgin pvc, whearas karndean is mostly a recycled plastic product. Because karndean used recycled plastics, it has been melted down, plasticisers added ( a liquid to soften it out and make it easier to re use) hence the product is in general softer and easier to mark, scratch etc than amtico!

amtico also use a high quality kodak photographic film not a paper print and is therefore a much more defined product.

there are ceramic pellets also included in the polyurethene top layer which improves the natural look of the floor by matting out the colours as a natural product would look, when compared to a more plastic glossy look!

karndean is made in the far east and imported in massive quantities with little technical backup when compared to amtico which is manufactured in the uk and has an excellent technical backup service, as long as its fitted correctly!

i wont bore you any more..but there are quite a number of differences! im not saying karndean is a bad product..it isnt, but amtico is that level better!!

you get what you pay for!!!

if you now fancy amtico but feel its too expensive, note that there has just recently been a total update to their more budget range, called spacia! worth researching!!!

ps...i dont work for amtico lol!! just incase you are wondering! lol
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    home_alone wrote: »
    I have 2 bathrooms and a shower come cloakroom all with Amtico tiles they worked out about £74 sq mtr fitted seems alot but 2 of the rooms are upstairs and ceramic was out of the question and these tiles are not cold to walk on and they look a million $ and really really tough and hard wearing.

gary

That's interesting to know as the price kind of freaked me out more than anything. The guy I spoke to in JL did say he wasn't a flooring guy, so maybe he was getting a bit enthusiastic with the fitting costs?! ;) Did you have yours done recently?
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    That's interesting to know as the price kind of freaked me out more than anything. The guy I spoke to in JL did say he wasn't a flooring guy, so maybe he was getting a bit enthusiastic with the fitting costs?! ;) Did you have yours done recently?

They were all done in the last 12 months.
  • Strangled
    Strangled Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post
    disco_dale wrote: »
    there are quite important technical differences between amtico and karndean!

ive had fitting/retail experience of both for over 12 years and have attended countless professional coursed ran by both!

the main differences are the wear layer (the top part of the tile) and the actual composition of the prducts.

amtico uses what is called virgin pvc, whearas karndean is mostly a recycled plastic product. Because karndean used recycled plastics, it has been melted down, plasticisers added ( a liquid to soften it out and make it easier to re use) hence the product is in general softer and easier to mark, scratch etc than amtico!

amtico also use a high quality kodak photographic film not a paper print and is therefore a much more defined product.

there are ceramic pellets also included in the polyurethene top layer which improves the natural look of the floor by matting out the colours as a natural product would look, when compared to a more plastic glossy look!

karndean is made in the far east and imported in massive quantities with little technical backup when compared to amtico which is manufactured in the uk and has an excellent technical backup service, as long as its fitted correctly!

i wont bore you any more..but there are quite a number of differences! im not saying karndean is a bad product..it isnt, but amtico is that level better!!

you get what you pay for!!!

if you now fancy amtico but feel its too expensive, note that there has just recently been a total update to their more budget range, called spacia! worth researching!!!

ps...i dont work for amtico lol!! just incase you are wondering! lol
    Thanks for that......very informative. Been fitting both products for years and never knew all that :beer: :j :D
  • I just installed Karndean in my bathroom and utility room and I love it. I intend to get it for my hallway too. It is so easy to clean. I used the cheaper Knight tile but it might not be as good in living areas which take heavy wear and tear.They recommend you seal it afterwards for extra protection.
    If you have had the space measured up, why not buy online and save yourself some money, there are a couple of sites that sell at near trade prices. I bought my Karndean at https://www.flooring.uk.com and it was delivered for free. good luck
    Sally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport