PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Wednesday 17 May 2017

Comments

• Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, extra one for Nelski and her family.

Nelski, hearing is the last thing to go, even when deeply unconscious it is believed that someone can still hear, so your Dad will know you are there and hear what you are saying. I do hope that your dad will pass peacefully and pain free.

Nasty morning here, its very grey and wet. We are off into town once I have taken my BP yet again.........need fresh veg and a few other bits and OH wants to price up some wood at the local wood yard.

Hopefully I have a builder coming to look at the shed job, taking down the old shed and putting in a new base......I contacted 4 and only one has replied so far.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pleased I got ready early as joiners arrived a few minutes ago. I popped upstairs to see how the work was progressing and wished I hadn't :eek: Keep telling myself it will be nice once it is finished but at the moment it just looks very basic.

Miserable weather so will look out a rain jacket in case I get drenched later while walking to library, collecting prescriptions from chemist and taking a parcel back for youngest dd. Need to give myself a kick and sort out the dry laundry, load dishwasher etc.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Nelski When hen Mom was dying I was told the hearing is the last sense to go so keep telling him that you love him. When your Dad leaves this world you want words of love to be the last sounds he hears.

Morning all,

Wet and miserable day again here in North Devon but we did make it to the beach last night. The temperature was warm, no wind but the rain was in the form of a damp spray. We hardly got wet (well hubby did as he misjudged the tide and got wet up to his knees).:D

Not sure what today will bring, we never do plan these short breaks but just see what happens.

Tru Hope your Dad is continuing to recover.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs one.

Nelski- I'm glad your Dad is calm and you are having the chance to say goodbye as a family.

It was lovely and sunny first thing so I had hoped to get weedkiller down but it's now clouding over and forecast is for showers throughout the day so I'll not be doing that today. It did brighten up later yesterday so I managed to get four hanging baskets made up just three more to do and then the 14 wall baskets...

Smoked salmon and asparagus pasta tonight using a wee bit of the smoked salmon I bought at the recent food market. Not a terribly OS meal but a little of the salmon goes a long way and the asparagus was on SO.

I hope everyone has a good day x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:42AM
    Good Morning chums and a bit of a damp one at the moment , but living in the south east we are pretty desperate for some rain, as the ground is rock hard I think we will probably have a hose ban at some point down here.

We came third at quiz last night but enjoyed a good laugh all the same

Today I will be going to DDs later and will be staying for dinner as its my late OH's birthday today and we still celebrate it with a meal and a good natter about all the daft things he got up to, even though its 14 years since he passed, he would have been 84 today bless him .

I wonder what he would have thought of all the inventions and technical things that are around that we take for granted today I think he would have thought that Sat-Nav in a car was pretty cool .

I'm sure he would have been so pleased that several of his DGS have followed his love of playing the guitar and fishing :):)

Time goes so quickly the older you get so I like to make the most of every minute ,probably why I am always flying around :):)

My DDs enjoy talking about their late Dad, as he teased them mercilessly and was always playing jokes on them :):)

The boys all know what a scallywag he was although its only Mikey the youngest who never met him.

We keep his memory alive by our 'birthday' dinner and its not a sad time at all but a meal that's full of laughter at times with lots of 'do you remember' :):):)

So that will be my day today, I have already had a nice bunch of flowers from my DD which she gives me every year without fail bless her.I am a very lucky lady to be surrounded by my family, who have all pulled together into such a strong unit.I think he would be so proud of his 'girls'

Hope you all have a good day whatever you are doing

R.I.P Alan 1933-2003

JackieO xxx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Afternoon - it hasn't rained yet though I was reliably informed by the cashier in the Co-op that it'll be raining by 3p.m.

Just before I left home this morning I decided to pull together another towel wash, yesterday it was 'Glasgow towels', and a few other scraps. Got it out and now it's dry so I'm pleased about that. The sunshine and high wind have done the trick.

Now I'm waiting for the postie. My plan to get in the garden before he come was scuppered by a neighbour popping in to get a document scanned and emailed. Then I booked her 'old biddy' bus ticket as her printer is on the blink. Then we chatted a bit!

I've had stir fried chicken and a salad for lunch, now I'm munching on very disappointing almonds. Very misshapen, not much 'meat' and fairly soft. :(

Apart from that things are good. Class was very quiet, the troublesome twosome seem to have removed themselves from the part of the course I teach so peace reigns now.

JackieO - such great memories of your late OH. We, as a very reduced down family still speak of my late Father who would be 102 if alive still. He was an older father! I hold firm to the thought that as long as a loved one is remembered then they live on in my heart, which seems to be the warmest and cosiest place in my body. :rotfl:
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Lovely memories Jackie. Your post makes me think of those comforting words
    "To live in the hearts of those you love is never to die."
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Afternoon all,

Hugs and good wishes to all who could do with some.

Lovely morning, rain promised for this afternoon......very dark now so probably going to arrive soon......earth could do a bit of a soak.

JackieO......lovely custom to celebrate your DOH'S birthday, I find myself talking about my parents as if they were still alive, they both died in 1994.

Dinner tonight will be baked salmon, potatoes in some form and a couple of veg, most will be done in the oven, so easy dinner.

Have a good evening everybody

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Gers wrote: »
    Afternoon - it hasn't rained yet though I was reliably informed by the cashier in the Co-op that it'll be raining by 3p.m.

So much for 'reliable' - nearly 5p.m. and still no rain though I think it's imminent. I risked it all and mowed the grass, did it in a different pattern which made it so much easier to manage the cord, I only needed the extension for a small area.

Happy now.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Only just got on the forum since I posted yesterday morning,and caught up on the news,
    Nelski I'm so sorry youve had bad news about your DDad,but its comforting that the family is all together-wishing you strength for the days ahead xxx
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure