Sully BP car boot sale

Comments

• matphil
    matphil Posts: 928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Hi.
    Sully boot sale is now up and running. The first one started last Sunday (4th May ).
    I always see lots of video's for sale at boot sales. I would still buy a video if it was one that I wanted.
  • Many thanks for that matphil. I had visions of us turning up with a car full and finding an empty field!

Weather forecast looks good anyway - better than today at any rate. Just hope I can remember where I left my umbrella.
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Visited it last week (as a spectator) and it was the quietest I can ever recall it. The weather didn't help, hopefully this week would be better - last Sunday the cars barely got past the concrete area - one line on the field IIRC.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Does anyone else agree with me, the posts in this thread paint a picture of a car boot sale beginning at 7am with most bargains being gone between 7:30 - 9am.

I know the phrase "early bird gets the worm" but I think it would be far more sensible to open the sale at 10am (with no trading before 10am), people live far away and people enjoy a lie in on a Saturday.

So where is it in relation to Beach Road? (leads to Captain's Wife)

And is it free to get in as a buyer?
  • Wig honey - I entirely agree with you. My alarm goes off at 6.30am Monday to Friday so weekends are my chill out time. Getting up tomorrow at 6am is anathema. They are usually on a Sunday so why not an 11am start? Or even an afternoon start? Or early evening?
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wig wrote: »
    Does anyone else agree with me, the posts in this thread paint a picture of a car boot sale beginning at 7am with most bargains being gone between 7:30 - 9am.

I know the phrase "early bird gets the worm" but I think it would be far more sensible to open the sale at 10am (with no trading before 10am), people live far away and people enjoy a lie in on a Saturday.

So where is it in relation to Beach Road? (leads to Captain's Wife)

And is it free to get in as a buyer?

Yes, it is free to get in as a buyer.

I wouldn't say most bargains have gone by 9am - it always depends what you are looking for - I've picked up good stuff up to 11am/ noon before now.

As regards the timescales, this has always been part of the car boot fun for me (like the 'vultures' hovering around your car before you even unpack :D ) We don't do it regularly, maybe once a month in May June & July and if you're going to get up at ,say, 9am on a Sunday morning, is it that much worse getting up at 7? 8am is usually early enough to arrive at Sully and packing the car before hand and making a packed breakfast means all you need to do in the morning is shower and dress before setting out.

If you had a rule along the lines of 'no selling before 10am' I think all that would mean is traders queuing from about 8.30 outside to get the best spots. As regards directions, from Culverhouse Cross, take the A4050 towards Barry but keep following the signs for Sully. Go past the Dow Corning plant, into Sully itself and it's in the BP Barry Social Club (on the rugby field). If memory serves me correctly, it's about 1/4 mile before the Captains Wife turnoff.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • kle87
    kle87 Posts: 411 Forumite
    Hopefully Sully next week will be better than Gelligear yesterday. Had loads of Ted Baker, Timberland, Tommy kids clothes and people wouldn't pay £1.50 and their in great condition. Made £20 gutted i got out of bed for it!
    2010 Wins: Benecol Bag For Life, £150 FCUK Voucher, Rimmel Foundation, L'oreal Mascara, £60 worth of hair products, £100 :j
  • WELSH-DRAGON_2
    WELSH-DRAGON_2 Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went to Sully yesterday, had a good stroll around, took £30 with me and came back with £28 !!! the weather helped as it was very busy but nothing took my eye apart from some action men for DS.

When I sell at Sully I sometimes get there for around 8am to get my spot then I go for a stroll before I set up my stall thus avoiding the vultures that arrive as sellers get there. I had one, once opening my door and taking boxes out practically before I had put the handbrake on !

I prefer Sully to Bessemer though and found I've made more money at Sully when the weather is good.

Welshy x
    ;) I am the only Voucher Queen in my village LOL ;)
  • I went to Sully yesterday, had a good stroll around, took £30 with me and came back with £28 !!! the weather helped as it was very busy but nothing took my eye apart from some action men for DS.

When I sell at Sully I sometimes get there for around 8am to get my spot then I go for a stroll before I set up my stall thus avoiding the vultures that arrive as sellers get there. I had one, once opening my door and taking boxes out practically before I had put the handbrake on !

I prefer Sully to Bessemer though and found I've made more money at Sully when the weather is good.

Welshy x

I wonder if you saw them on my stall Welshy! Didn't sell them and all bar one were naked Action Men - not sure why they all end up that way. :D

It was very warm wasn't it? Forgot to put cream on my back although I made sure daughter was suitably lathered up.

We got there at about 7.30am and left about half 12 having made about £45 :cool:
  • Hi,

I am planning to go down to the Sully car boot sale this coming Sunday 17th Aug.

It is the first car boot I have done and I have tons of great stuff to sell.

I will be gutted if it is not on. I heard a rumour that it was now every other Sunday.

Please let me know if this is true?

Is it still only 5 pounds for a pitch?

Any Advice?

Thanks

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts