Can I claim travel expenses to a job interview?

The DWP majorly messed up my claim, I wont go into it because it should be nearly sorted now, but I have not had any payments in the last month (signed on as normal so its due to some point). The lack of money was not so much an issue as I live with my parents for the time being and I had a few quid left to get by on.

Well, today I've been offered a job interview in Glasgow which is a fair bit out the way but I'd be happy to move there should the job be offered to me. In trying to work out how to get there someone suggested that the JC may be able to pay my travel expenses to the interview. This would be helpful if true since I'm short of money right now!

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ask at the Jobcentre about the travel to interview scheme. You have to get their agreement in advance of the interview. They retain the right to check with the employer that you turned up. You would need to show them the invitation to the interview.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,347
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You have to apply in advance, the employer will have to be a certain distance away (this will depend on your local area/transport available etc) and they may need to contact employer to check you attended and they didn't pay your expenses.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Delta-NC
    Delta-NC Posts: 118 Forumite
    Thanks I'll look into it when I'm there tomorrow :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You could also ask the employer if they are willing to refund travel expenses: some will (and they'll probably pay up a lot faster than the JC!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Delta-NC
    Not that kind of job ;) they're going to be bloody confused when they realise where I actually live! Hoping that comes across as "He MUST want this job".

I'm traveling 90km for a McJob Interview! :rotfl:
  • tsimehC
    tsimehC Posts: 763 Forumite
    Wouldn't they have realised where you live when you applied? Oh wait, you lied on the application form? :/
  • Delta-NC
    Not necessarily, I'm currently living in a small village and no doubt they assume it is a local small village! :D
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Delta-NC wrote: »
    Not that kind of job ;) they're going to be bloody confused when they realise where I actually live! Hoping that comes across as "He MUST want this job".

I'm traveling 90km for a McJob Interview! :rotfl:

If I've read this thread and, in particular, your posts correctly, then I commend you for your efforts in literally getting out there and seeking employment :beer:
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • Delta-NC
    Thanks! :)

Well in update, I asked about expenses and was given a form, but I never submitted it because I wasn't sure that the job met the requirements. (3 months minimum, can't recall if this was just a seasonal job).

I am now going to be taking my brothers car so I'll just empty the tank and pay him back later. :rotfl:

I have also been offered a second interview in Glasgow on the same day for a sales job! I've not been offered an interview in nearly two years and suddenly I get two on the same day! I hope at least one of them goes well! :rotfl:
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck for them both! :)
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure