IDEM Vanishing Accounts

Hi All

Bit of a strange one, I have an account with IDEM that I have been paying off over the last 6 and a bit years. The account was originally an MBNA credit card which was defaulted back in 2011 and dropped off my credit file in June last year.

Each January I speak with IDEM and agree how much I can afford to pay, I have just called them and they can no longer find my accounts. Is this due to the default dropping off? I was in the process of sending a CCA request as the card was a pre 2007 account but if they have written it off or no longer deal with it I am reluctant to flag this up to them.

I am not trying to avoid paying but if they no longer recognise the debt or if they have closed the account (wishful thinking I know!) its seems silly to keep sending them money that is dissapearing into a black hole.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there

The debt being removed from your credit file should not affect IDEM being able to find your details, as their records are separate to the credit reference agencies.

What was the outcome of them not being able to find your account? If they say you no longer owe anything to them I would ask them to confirm this in writing. It is possible the debt has been sold on to a another debt collection agency (DCA), in which case the new DCA should contact you in due course. However you would still expect IDEM to have been able to tell you that was the case.

It is worth noting that if you have always made regular payments towards the debt it doesn't sound like it can be statute barred. That is they haven't yet run out of time to pursue you for the debt. If a new DCA does contact you, you may still want to consider the CCA request. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure