Freeserve to close email service from May

Options

Comments

• SouthUKMan
    Options
    Just to say many, many thanks for posting this. The online world has moved on since the days of Freeserve (for the better I would say). However like many 'early adopters' of home email, my old address is still linked to some of my online accounts that I will now have to change. Thanks for the heads up - very useful :)
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whatever happened to the Internet?
    Remember when there was more than 3 ISPs?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • paulstar
    paulstar Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »

Most things are straightforward to change, but changing the Paypal email might cause problems, as it's effectively your identity?

To change PayPal primary address:

Add a second email address and confirm it via the confirmation email.

When confirmed, update the secondary email address and tick the option to make it your primary email address.

Delete the old primary that will now be showing as a secondary.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    paulstar wrote: »
    To change PayPal primary address:

Add a second email address and confirm it via the confirmation email.

When confirmed, update the secondary email address and tick the option to make it your primary email address.

Delete the old primary that will now be showing as a secondary.

But will changing the primary email address unlink the paypal account from my Ebay account?

I've also seen it advised not to delete the old address straight away, as any payment going to it by mistake will still go through if it's there as a secondary address, but would get baulked if you'd deleted it.
  • paulstar
    paulstar Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »
    But will changing the primary email address unlink the paypal account from my Ebay account?

I've also seen it advised not to delete the old address straight away, as any payment going to it by mistake will still go through if it's there as a secondary address, but would get baulked if you'd deleted it.

Afraid I don't know. But it has been suggested to me that if you add the new address as a secondary in PayPal, then change your email address in eBay it might sort out the linking for you. Only hearsay...
  • sysadmin
    sysadmin Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    virgo17 wrote: »
    Whilst this is true, and I have used it, there isn't the same level of control or the ability to create really meaningful addresses with Gmail.

gmx.com will allow up to ten alias addresses and if you can manage a bit of Deutsch then gmx.de provide up to twenty alias addresses.

However. all of these are poor substitutes for your own domain name and hence an endless number of addresses.

Or just setup your own domain and link it to go GAPPS or Outlook.com.

I think a .co.uk domain costs lke £7 a year...

Thats what I have, can have any number of ...@sysadmin.com email addresses but as its tied to google, I can also use the sys.admin@sysadmin.com filtering too
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    paulstar wrote: »
    Afraid I don't know. But it has been suggested to me that if you add the new address as a secondary in PayPal, then change your email address in eBay it might sort out the linking for you. Only hearsay...

I can now confirm that works, as I have now changed my Ebay and Paypal emails, and Ebay automatically linked to the new Paypal email. :cool:

I opened up my Ebay account first, then clicked the link to my Paypal settings, and added and confirmed the new address (as a secondary email address).
    Then I went back to Ebay and changed and confirmed the new address in Ebay.
    Then finally I went back to Paypal and updated the new address and made it the Primary.

Not sure if doing it exactly in that order was strictly necessary, but it worked anyway.
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used a Wanadoo address for years & only found out about this by chance this morning when my OH saw a post on a Virgin users forum. Grrr!

Have spent several hours so far setting up a Gmail a/c & changing my address on various websites. (30 done & about as many still to do!)

Does anyone know how long the "auto reply" service will keep working? I'll be notifying my contacts but auto reply could be useful if I miss one! (I use a Windows Mail client a/c rather than webmail except when I'm away from home, so at least I don't need to worry about losing my contact addresses.)
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The auto-reply will stop as soon as the service is withdrawn.

Best thing to do is turn on IMAP in the freeserve account, and pull everything into the new goggle account.

As you update each website with the new address you can search for the website in the emails and tag it as "changed" or something like that.

So as Gmail picks up emails from the old email account, you can quickly see what sites need to be updated or ignored.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. I had a nasty feeling that the auto reply would only work until May. I'll have to make sure that I tell my contacts in good time.

I'm actually keeping a pen & paper list of the websites as I work through them. They aren't all on my e-mail contacts list &, in any case, I don't keep the full list on webmail & prefer to keep it on my client (Windows Mail) a/c. I can see your method would work for people who do, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure