Negotiating with Mini

Pixie5740
Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
My friend has her heart set on a brand new Mini Cooper S. I have been enlisted to help ensure that she doesn't get bumped since she really wants this car and is likely to get carried away and sign anything put in front of her (she has form).

Has anyone managed to successfully negotiate money off a new Mini? I notice that Mini aren't on Drive the Deal, CarWow, etc. Some online research seems to suggest it's a bit hit and miss as to whether Mini will give a discount.

We live in Aberdeen where dealerships have been notorious for not giving discounts (I once flew down to Birmingham and got the train to Derby to buy a car because it saved me thousands and the Aberdeen dealership wouldn't budge on price) but that might have all changed since the !!!! has fallen out the price of oil. So we would travel if it meant a deal was to be had elsewhere.

Comments

• dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm always careful of travelling too far to buy from a garage. If anything goes wrong, it's a long way to take it back.

I know it's less risk with a main dealer garage, but if after the sale you need to speak to the salesman and everytime you ring he's "busy", you can't just pop in to see him.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    John Clark is still as greedy as ever.

A few months back they told me "Well someone has to pay for the Cappuccino and the croissants." when refusing to budge more than a total of 10% off.

Needless to say I went elsewhere.

Get a confirmed quote from a broker the likes of coast2coast or Broadspeed which ought to be around 20% less than the list price, then tout it around a few of the main dealers.

Some will have a go at matching it - some like John C will show you the door.

Others eager to be top-selling dealer of the year will even beat it by a hundred pounds or so.

Eventually I travelled down to Lloyd Newcastle to collect.

Check with them only after you have a few firm quotes though.

Expect to get dealership contribution, Mini(BMW) manufacturer incentive, and also the finance company contribution.

All in all I achieved 21% discount - but don't use that word discount - no-one gives discount - it's all seen as assistance to purchase.

Does your friend need finance or is she intending this as a cash deal?
  • Pixie5740
    Thanks Iceweasal. I've not always had the best experience with John Clark myself.

I've got a quote from Coast2Coast which I was pleasantly surprised at after comparing it with the price I got from Mini's own website.

Yes, my friend will need finance. I guess that will also help negotiate on price.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Does your friend need finance or is she intending this as a cash deal?

Even if she's intending a cash deal, looking at the finance option (and paying it off quickly / cancelling finance in the cooling off period and settling in cash) can yield additional "incentives" versus a pure cash deal.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Be sure that your Coast2Coast quote includes any/all extras and options as the discounts should apply to them too - not just the basic list price.

Good luck - please do come back and let us know the outcome.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Thanks Iceweasal. I've not always had the best experience with John Clark myself.

I've got a quote from Coast2Coast which I was pleasantly surprised at after comparing it with the price I got from Mini's own website.

Yes, my friend will need finance. I guess that will also help negotiate on price.
    I was also going to suggest coast2coast, and there's also a well known sales guy in the BMW world who should be able to get you a great deal. I've pm'd the details.
  • Pixie5740
    I'll let you know how we get on. Watch this space. :)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dannyrst wrote: »

I'm always careful of travelling too far to buy from a garage. If anything goes wrong, it's a long way to take it back.

The O/P is looking at a new car, which means they can buy it wherever and take it to their local dealer for repairs and servicing.
    dannyrst wrote: »

I know it's less risk with a main dealer garage, but if after the sale you need to speak to the salesman and everytime you ring he's "busy", you can't just pop in to see him.

Why would you need to speak to the salesman after the sale? Any post purchase issues should go through to the service department, where they'll have a dedicated team ready to sort out your problem.
  • Pixie5740
    Thanks for the Coast2Coast tip. Going through Coast2Coast has saved my friend thousands. I felt bad for the salesman at Mini Aberdeen as he was really nice but he just couldn't come close in price.

The next step is seeing if any other Mini dealership in Scotland or Northern England can match the quote. If not I'll see if the dealership from Coast2Coast to can transport the car at least part way because they are possibly the furthest away from us as you can get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure