Replace 8 internal doors, 2 cupboard doors

Options
Grateful for any feedback on a quote received to replace internal doors (8) and cupboard doors (2) in Glasgow.

Cost is to supply and fit 8 full sized shaker style softwood doors, 2 internal cupboard doors and all handles etc., we have been quoted just shy of £1,500.

Does that sound about right? I have no idea and am struggling to get quotes.

Comments

• greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    Internal doors can be cheap or expensive - what make?
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greatgimpo wrote: »
    Internal doors can be cheap or expensive - what make?

Believe Howdens or Wickes, had suggested Wickes myself as an example of a door we liked, but fitter thought that Howdens might have been cheaper for similar style. Not 100% sure which, but probably one of those.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Were in midlands and paying £65 a door fitted (Wickes door) but were providing door and handle/hinges an extra £100 per frame to replace internal frame for wooden, built to measure.

HTH. PF.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2016 at 9:31PM
    Options
    The labour cost to hang 10 internal doors would cost between £35-40 per door (South East England) so a total of £400 for labour. If you deduct this from the quote of £1,500 leaves you with £1100 for the cost of 10 doors.. So each door is costing £110 which for pine shaker style doors is too much.

I would try to find similar doors from Wickes etc find out how much they are and then allow £400 for hanging them.. Obviously this won't include handles etc which can cost anything from £8 per door upwards. I would look at Wickes website and price up the doors ,handles etc and allow £400 for fitting them..If the doors are being sourced from Howdens/Wickes then theres a fair chance the handles etc are too and Wickes/Howdens only sell cheap,poor quality handles,latches and locks.

10 doors should take no more than 2 days to fit.
  • krey
    krey Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Fitted myself 3 pine doors a couple of weeks ago, first time doing this..
    bought the doors from homebase for £24 each ( had to spend some time in store looking for straight ones..)
    353179_R_Z001?$TMB$&wid=420&hei=420

Had to get the frames as well as they were being fitted in new walls, went to b&poo realized that they want £24 for a frame, went home and made the frames myself exactly to the size I needed for about £6 each in materials and about 15minutes spent on each to ''make'' them.
    The hinges were £0.60 for a set of 2 from toolstation
    got a very nice handle/latch set for £4 from screwfix (clearance item)

spent about 2.5hours on average for each door to fit them and to fit the handle/latch and do everything else..

So £34.60 to purchase a door/handle/latch and make a frame
    +2.5hours on each to fit them.

Just putting it out there... ;)
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    The labour cost to hang 10 internal doors would cost between £35-40 per door (South East England) so a total of £400 for labour. If you deduct this from the quote of £1,500 leaves you with £1100 for the cost of 10 doors.. So each door is costing £110 which for pine shaker style doors is too much.

I would try to find similar doors from Wickes etc find out how much they are and then allow £400 for hanging them.. Obviously this won't include handles etc which can cost anything from £8 per door upwards. I would look at Wickes website and price up the doors ,handles etc and allow £400 for fitting them..If the doors are being sourced from Howdens/Wickes then theres a fair chance the handles etc are too and Wickes/Howdens only sell cheap,poor quality handles,latches and locks.

10 doors should take no more than 2 days to fit.

I go with this but add a proviso. The contractor will be looking to make a profit on the job. Nobody knows how much this is but a guess would be £300+. Then there are the risks and overheads of doing business. Factor all this in when considering quotes.

Also consider buying and supplying your own doors and ironmongery. That way you get exactly what you want. Your contractor may be agreeable to a labour only price - but run it past them first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure